oil extractor

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

oil extractor

#1 Post by rich. » Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 pm

id like to buy this.. are they any good?
http://www.discountetqualite.fr/accesso ... -tool.html

arceye

Re: oil extractor

#2 Post by arceye » Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm

I wasn't too impressed by mine Rich, it was a similar design but by silverline I think.

I've still got it somewhere but for the odd occasion I use it I have adapted it by doing away with the hand pump, instead I have a compressor off a scrapped fridge freezer connected by a tube to the container so its sucking its air in from the receptacle pot, this creates a decent vacuum and works well enough. I also found the tube too large a diameter to get down a lot of dipstick tubes if using it for engine oil changes but I cut a length of copper brake pipe which can usually be persuaded to get down to where it needs to go.

So, yeah, probably easier to just to jack up and undo the sump plug if you are wanting it for engine oil changes, but, for awkward stuff in between regular oil and filter changes when feeling lazy my modified one has been handy once or twice.

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm

cheers mate, the silverline one i have seen has a 4 litre capacity, this one has 6.. i was thinking it would be useful for mower & small machine engines.. & for the price i thought it was cheap :D

arceye

#4 Post by arceye » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

Worth a try for the cash then Rich, the tube will probably fit mowers etc no problem, and if it is no good just save it until your Fridge leaks its gas out and then you can adapt it. :)

If you do get it be sure to report back.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Mon May 16, 2016 4:08 pm

cheers!, can you post a pic of your setup please?

arceye

#6 Post by arceye » Mon May 16, 2016 7:21 pm

If I can find it and its various tubes at the back of the garage I'll grab a photo in the next day or two rich, (things are in need of a tidy after the work on the Austin)

Frustratingly I did have until recently a photo of it sucking the life blood out of a Merc E class diesel, but, can I find it... can I heck. You can bet its one of just a few photos I cleared off the card to create some room thinking I'd never need it.

Anyways, I'll have a look and see what I can do.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 am

thanks mate :thumbs:

arceye

#8 Post by arceye » Tue May 17, 2016 5:01 pm

There you go mate, rough and ready but fully functional :oops: ignore the orange cable thats just going to the caravan, must roll it up.

The long tube is the bit that sucks, the fridge compressor creates the vacuum, as mentioned I have some copper pipe also for getting in narrow openings.

I don't use it often but it has saved the day once or twice.

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 pm

thanks mate, i appreciate all your effort.. :thumbs:

alabbasi

#10 Post by alabbasi » Wed May 25, 2016 4:00 am

I have this, it allows me to change my oil while wearing a white linen suit.. Unless of course I have to crawl under the car to get to the oil filter.

Uses compressed air to create a vacuum. 6.25 gallon capacity means you can a couple oil changes out of it before draining.