focus

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

focus

#1 Post by rich. » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:01 pm

what do you chaps think of this one? brother is fed up with his bmw mini thing & wants a change...
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

kevin

Re: focus

#2 Post by kevin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:46 pm

I've had a few of them and found them to be a great car.

Kev

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
snoring.gif
snoring.gif (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 pm

I have the 2.0 TDCi Ghia version of that as my daily driver.
It's cheap to run, cheap to service, surprisingly comfortable, fairly easy to work on.
Don't whatever you do buy the 1.6 diesel it's a dog. the 1.8 is more or less ford's old TDDi engine and is bomb proof. The 2.0 is a bigger version of the 1.6 but with better oil flow characteristics so doesn't have the turbo eating habits of it's little brother. It also has a better gearbox and better brakes.
Mine is coming up on 200,000 miles and it's non-service items have been 2x alternators one at about 114,000 and one at 190,000. It had all new suspension bushes and dampers last summer and I expect to get another couple of years out of it before having to find another one.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#5 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:50 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
snoring.gif
snoring.gif (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:41 pm

GHT wrote:attachment
:?
What's with the grey bars that need a mahoosive screen? See below, maybe this is what you were trying to achieve:

Image ;)

The car's price appears to be toward the top end of what's acceptable for one of these things, so unless I'm late to the party and your Bro already handed over some spondus, maybe suggest that he looks at millions of the things before deciding, they're plentiful and some seem to be surviving without rust while others of similar age are falling to bits already. Yesterday alone, I followed a very early one that looked absolutely as straight as they come, then another, much newer example got in the way and its tailgate was so rotten around the window that [the glass] might have been ready to fall out, or in, which is better for following traffic.
A mate of mine has been looking for a replacement for his Opel Vectra, a 1998 car that finally died as the garage he used for the maintenance had been clagging rough plates to its sills since 2006, meaning that it was about to snap through the middle. We saw some lovely Focuses at very little money but the bad ones are now showing rot in some of the important areas and the cars' low values mean that some traders won't carry out proper rust repairs. Matey bought something Japanese in the end, which made me chuckle because it's a Mazda 3! I said nothing, he likes it even though he hasn't realised yet..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#7 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 pm

What a smartarse you are John. I bet you can get online with your smart phone. Had mine three years and still have no idea how the youngsters do that. And Apps! WTF is an app?
moon.gif
moon.gif (48.43 KiB) Viewed 2890 times

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:59 pm

No, not at all, all I'm saying is that the "attachment" stuff makes the whole screen three times as wide as it need be, so although they're useful for large photos, they're not needed for a tiny emoticon, which can be placed between the two "Img" tags that appear when you go up there ^^^ and click on the box marked Img. Speaking of which, I'm saving that one :lol: before someone kills it. ;)
no idea how the youngsters do that
:idea: I reckon it's because the ones who don't work in the burger bar work in the mobile telephone shop, so they can afford to use all of the data that they need for their connected lifestyle, with the Opel Adam, the Bluetooth (see what happens when you remove the alcohol from mouthwash) and the adaptive cruise control which might be something found in new cars that I assume - possibly erroneously - is there to make sure that these youngsters avoid the darker, less public venues when they go cruising. Still, at least their generation may cruise without fear of being subjected to teasing and name calling. Apparently, this wasn't possible in the days of the Hillman Avenger, as any 1970s cabinet minister would confirm. Probably.

:|

Cruising, it's like dogging without the audience participation..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:21 pm

thanks for that chaps, he has bought a 75k focus 1.8 diesel thing from a mate for about £1700.. mini thing is going back to bmw garage.. aparently it was on lease hire? lease to buy?? he's glad to see the back of it, although i thought in that situation the car should have been repaired by the dealership free of charge... he is off to see citizens advice..
ght, is an app a very small apple?

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 am

rich. wrote:ght, is an app a very small apple?
What a clever fellow you are. There was me thinking that it was an acronym for:
All
Purpose
Phone