new top gear sneek peak

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
GHT

Re: new top gear sneek peak

#11 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:00 pm

JPB wrote:As for the suggestion that I was speaking Unwinese, sure & I couldn't hope to compete with your skill in that form of communication? :lol: ;)
Me? vacuous in the vernacular? Surely, you are not suggesting that I'm on a mission to seamlessly negotiate interdependent services so that I could endeavour to authoritatively integrate emerging catalysts for change? That sir, is a sustained, miserabilist rant. a querulous, procrustean jeremiad!
For your listening tuition go to:
Stanley Unwin’s Guide to the Internal Combustion Engine
http://www.stanleyunwin.com/audio/World_7.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/3y4omx

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:12 pm

:lol:
If only the devil's lantern would give us 24 hour, Olympic standard infinitive splitting coverage from Eyemouth Liberal Club, then we'd have no need for Top Gear and Evans could go back to being the face of Channel 4's Big Breakfast..
:idea: Send Zig & Zag to do Top Gear instead! I doubt many folk would notice.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:51 pm

is that available with a skybox.. free of course as i am a skinflint :lol:

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:23 am

I was looking at some Sky content on a neighbour's telly recently and was more than slightly amused to see a show that featured camel racing with commentary available in no fewer than eight languages. Camel racing looked a lot like greyhound racing but the camels had people sitting on their backs and [said camels] weren't chasing a fake rodent, somewhere between a mouse and a wallaby in size.. There was definitely a rabbit off there!
:lol: :oops: :scared:

Motors TV live stream is here. Or get yourself back to blightly and watch on Freeview 240.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#15 Post by GHT » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:57 pm

JPB wrote:Or get yourself back to blightly and watch on Freeview 240.
Ah, I tried that last night, seems my black & white telly, the valve driven type, with the big magnifying glass over the screen, is not compatible. Strange that, my 65 year old MG works on modern fuel, maybe it's something to do with digital. Is digital like the digits on your hand? My old jukebox throws a wobbly when I show it CD's. But my finger dial phone still works, so it must be that digital is a posy way of saying that you have to use your digits.
I really do have an old jukebox, finger dial phone, bathroom scales in imperial measurements only, no metric, kitchen counter-balance scales also imperial only, a valve driven wireless, (that's a radio not some router thingy,) a 1926 pushbike and I kept my first mobile phone. It's a 1996 Alcatel, the model that came immediately after the brick. It's about the size of a one pound bar of chocolate, the sim card is the size of a credit card and the battery takes up most of the phone space. Digital technology made it redundant until one of those geeky whizz kids came up with a clever piece of wizardry that he fitted in the phone. I tell you, the looks you get when the phone rings, it sounds just like a landline ring, ring and the jawdrop reaction when I get the phone out, pull out the aerial and say: "Hello!"

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 pm

How about some Top-Gear from W Chump & Sons
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/jame ... ar-BBpF6ko
I'm sure that John must be moonlighting as their fleet manager.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:38 pm

James May, on his even more embarrassing recent spot of car trouble, wrote:My 911 tried to kill me tonight by aquaplaning massively on the A303...
So don't drive it in the manner of a buffoon and/or fit some tyres to the thing. Sometimes, Mr May, I worry about you. :roll:

As for the Robin; I'd have painted the engine bay when I had the lid off the tin, April Yellow - as Reliant called chose to rename Inca when they bought Canley's last few cases of the stuff - clashes horribly with whichever brown that is from the period between Sienna and Gusset. Maple! That's the one, can you tell that I'm rubbish at snooker? Anyone else would have dealt with the brown and been onto a pink by now.

@GHT, yes, I like a bit of 405 too, I use my Bush TV22 occasionally, when I want to add some period atmosphere to one of the several hundred classic black and white films that I have on this 'ere laptop. Films, and a spot of guilty pleasure like this:

:oops: :oops: :oops: Honestly, I have no idea how I came to be in possession of that Swedish TV show..
J

GHT

#18 Post by GHT » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:12 pm

John, what are you like? Pervert.
John's Youtube Fantasy.

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:05 am

love the tv.. shame they don't make them like that anymore!
Last edited by rich. on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

GHT

#20 Post by GHT » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:49 pm

The Bakelite casing around that TV is so iconic. A plastic that evokes an era. My landline phone is in Bakelite and always draws compliments, even though you have to dial every number, one by one, people still love it. Best part of it though, it doesn't have the technology of being able to:
a) Press one for the money,
b) Two for the show.
Nor can it accept automated dialling, so PPI companies don't know that I exist.