snake oil

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

snake oil

#1 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:46 pm

seen an advert for tetraclean? terraclean?? is it another con? :?

JPB

Re: snake oil

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:55 pm

What's it for? Sounds like some form of detergent to use in a magnus pickup with your pressure washer lance. Unless of course your pressure washer is actually called Lance, in which case it sounds like some form of detergent to use in a magnus pickup with your pressure washer, Lance, Rich.
I've heard of Tetraboost, which is tetra-ethyl lead for adding to modern petrol for valve seat protection in engines where the inserts can't be fitted such as some sidevalve engines with wet liners, but that's not snake oil as it's exactly the same form of lead that used to be put into petrol originally, only more expensive.

Maybe you're thinking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHl9wXUKWxU

Edd, wake up! I'm surprised at him. :roll: Technically, it has no solid, scientific reason to work as well as a good long blast down a long stretch of road at speed with the rev counter bouncing off its end stop but let someone come along and demonstrate that this bollocks really does work and that I shouldn't be so cynical..
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:27 pm

thats the stuff john! ive seen people on a rotary forum with another gadget that allegedly cleans the carbon from your engine.. do people really believe in this nonsense?

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:29 pm

Sadly, yes they do. I'm dismayed at Edd for selling his soul to the devil though. :evil:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:09 pm

gazza82

#6 Post by gazza82 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

rich. wrote:the devils representant on earth
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 8QrQMIIDAB

He'd sell his own mother .. he sells Car Warranties too ...

If he is to be believed he owned a fully restored E-type and sold it as he only drive it 100 miles in one year .. then again if the buyer crossed his palm with enough 'wonga' I bet he would take it and run ..

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Amazing! We're six posts into a "snake oil" thread and nobody has mentioned Quentula's favourite blend of liquid engine death yet!
I've got this:

Image :evil: :evil: :evil:
J

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm

But it has such good reviews on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ametech-Restore ... B005BCB8K8
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Hmm, K series motors usually have some piston slap that lasts a few seconds on a cold start then clears, but since adding the product, his motor has a rumble. :lol: I can't tell whether that five star review from the MG's owner is tongue-in-cheek or whether the silly bugger is actually so deluded that he's convinced himself a blocked oil pump accompanied by bearing starvation is a good thing..
;)

Meanwhile, in another advert, Edd says that the stuff he's promoting is akin to
colonic irrigation for an engine.
:lol: Oh dear, sounds as though Tailpipe Man has been at it.
J

Toledo Man

#10 Post by Toledo Man » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:17 pm

I use BG44K and along with a full service just prior to the MoT, I always get through the emissions (unlike some other parts of the test!). Edd did the Terraclean treatment on the episode of Wheeler Dealers with the Jaguar XK8 and it reduced the exhaust emissions so it must work...
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)