renault scandal

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

renault scandal

#1 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:45 am

tractorman

Re: renault scandal

#2 Post by tractorman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:16 am

It's funny how one company's misdoings can throw the shareholders in a whole industry into panic! I don't say anyone is innocent or guilty, but I fear that some automatically think the worst. Watch out for other car manufacturers' share prices falling after someone announces they are investigating their records!

It does seem strange to me that VW reckon that UK owners won't lose out on performance or economy (or resale value), so they won't be compensated - not even for having to take the car to the garage and have the "upgrade" done. I wonder if anywhere other than the USA will be compensated if that's the case.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:04 pm

The USA's population is notoriously litigious, which may go some way to explaining that apparent inconsistency, but there's no doubt that "emissionsgate" is impacting upon UK sales of affected cars. I say this based on the fact that my 13 plate MK7 Golf TDI was taken back to the dealer in June last year following my successful rejection of the car for its persistent habit of braking dangerously whenever it saw Gary Lineker's face blowing across the road in front of the forward radar scanner (Walkers crisp pokes are made from aluminium foil, so fooled the system into applying the brakes), then there was the transmission whose odd clutch had started dragging while the even clutch was slipping, allowing both odd and even gear to be engaged simultaneously but only on a random basis, dictated by the remoteness of the car's location at the time, but I digress..).
So where was I, oh yes; the car went back - to be replaced by the vastly superior Toyota with its (conventional three speed epicyclic transmission with torque converter) that's just so much quicker at doing its job than DSG ever was, even in our '07 plate Jetta, which is a decent car - in June, it's now 2016 and that Golf is still in the dealer's stock, awaiting a new forever home, as animal charities say about their little furry charges. I drove past the dealership as recently as last week and the car that used to be mine isn't the only one sat there gathering a thick coat of corrosive guano, courtesy of the gull population, I recognised at least half a dozen other cars with the TDI engine that have, as yet, also failed to appeal to new buyers.
But as the recent news from Reggie demonstrates, other brands' dealers are also toiling to shift Diesel engined metal from their showrooms and I can understand why.

I wish that picture of a Renault production line had genuinely been taken yesterday, putting the early R4 back into production would be the best move the company could make. Proper cars!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:10 pm

JPB wrote:I wish that picture of a Renault production line had genuinely been taken yesterday, putting the early R4 back into production would be the best move the company could make. Proper cars!
Do they really "make" proper cars? It sounds a rhetorical question, sarcastic even. I'm not taking a pop at Renault cars, or those that buy them, just questioning who actually makes them. Next time you see a Renault Van, take a good look at it, does it look identical to the Nissan Van? And the Vauxhall Van? Of course it does, they are all one and the same. Furthermore, when you go past a large Renault truck, make a note of the number on the driver's door. 430, 440, 460, and so on. Those numbers are the only giveaway to the truck's identity. They are made, from scratch to finish, by Volvo, whose trucks also have the same identical numbers on the driver's door.

The Sprinter Van that Mercedes make looks suspiciously like the Grafter that comes out of the VW stable, that's because it is the same, apart from some cosmetic bodywork changes. At least Mercedes & VW put their respective power units in the vans. But this incestuous inter motor manufacturing is prevalent in the industry. You would think that Buick, that most American of American cars, and solely owned by General Motors would be as American as Mom's apple pie. Think again, next time you are on line, sneak a peak at what SAIC, the Chinese owner of MG, have in the pipeline, and while you are at it, see Buick being made there, for the American market.

So if the R4 ever goes back into production, ask yourself: "I wonder where this has been made?"

SirTainleyBarking

#5 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:00 am

GHT wrote:
JPB wrote:I wish that picture of a Renault production line had genuinely been taken yesterday, putting the early R4 back into production would be the best move the company could make. Proper cars!

So if the R4 ever goes back into production, ask yourself: "I wonder where this has been made?"
Probably Romania
dacia_1300_yellow_c1980.jpg
dacia_1300_yellow_c1980.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner