new mini

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

new mini

#1 Post by rich. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:45 am

brother owns a clubman mini thing, 41k & the clutch slips but only on the odd occasion.. any idea why chaps?

JPB

Re: new mini

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:57 am

Yes, it's f***ed. :lol:

OK, serious answer: The car's previous little old lady owner couldn't manage the heavy clutch with its biting point that's around six inches above the floor, so she kept her foot on the pedal all the time to make it manageable, which meant that there was always less clamping pressure than there ought to have been on the plate, allowing premature wear to happen.

It's a known thing with the BMW minis, but it's also possible that the car has had a haircut and has really covered twice as many miles.
It could also be an oil seal failure that's allowing the plate to become contaminated but when they do this, it's more common for the clutch to drag rather than slip because of the way in which the lining swells when it's soaked.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 pm

thanks! i will pass the good news on.. he is thinking of buying a nissan joke to replace it...

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Rich, mate, you must have had too much grog this Chrimbo, please allow me to fix that stuff you said:
rich. wrote:...he is thinking of buying a Datsun Micra to replace it...
Phew, that's better.
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:05 am

At least he's not thinking about buying a Chevro .... It's a Daewoo ... !!!

And how anyone could think of calling that BMW a Mini is beyond me ... It's taller than my Alfa and nearly as long!!!

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:51 am

thanks chaps! i have advised him to buy a micra for his son to learn to drive in as the insurance for the real minis he owns is highway robbery!
as for the chevrolet thingys my dad has the lacetti? its a good little car! it would be a even better if he looked after it :(
edit, i have had a wee drink this christmas, but not that much.. yet ;)

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:04 am

Nowt wrong with the Daewoo Nubira or its successor the Chevrolet Lacetti. These come with the same engines and other parts as the Vectras of the same era but in a well finished car - with wood stuck to some internal surfaces - that's so much less bad to drive. I believe that they're reasonably priced too, but can't think what put that notion into my head!
;)
J

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:14 pm

JPB wrote:I believe that they're reasonably priced too, but can't think what put that notion into my head!
;)
:lol:
yes my father is the stig 8-)

GHT

#9 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:35 pm

JPB wrote:Nowt wrong with the Daewoo Nubira or its successor the Chevrolet Lacetti. These come with the same engines and other parts as the Vectras of the same era but in a well finished car.
I had to go and lie down in a darkened room after I read that. Maybe I will give Specsavers a call tomorrow.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm

GHT wrote:
JPB wrote:Nowt wrong with the Daewoo Nubira or its successor the Chevrolet Lacetti. These come with the same engines and other parts as the Vectras of the same era but in a well finished car.
I had to go and lie down in a darkened room after I read that. Maybe I will give Specsavers a call tomorrow.
yes its hard for some people to undertand what great cars the lacettis are, im so glad you agree ;)