Hi-Fi

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
TerryG

Re: Hi-Fi

#11 Post by TerryG » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:46 pm

What John said.
It's a harman/kardon audio video receiver.
ie a 5.1 amplifier that i use with my TV / bluray / cd / radio / etc. It is less useful than it used to be as it has various inputs so you can use it to connect multiple devices to your TV. It is rather elderly now and doesn't support HD so the video bit of it is going unused.
The sound quality when combined with some Jamo Dynamic 120 speakers (huge even more elderly floor standers) is pretty good.

Explaining to the other half why i need a new one is too much like hard work so i'll sneakily replace it when she isn't with me.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 pm

TerryG wrote:Jamo Dynamic 120 speakers
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I used to have some Jamos, they're so sensitive (92db/W istr) that even the feeblest Boombox was able to make the floor move when I played some Dr Feelgood or similarly pounding classic pub rock through them. Not the most subtle of devices but as a means of convincing your neighbours that there's a helicopter flying around next door's front room, very hard to better!

I found a picture of the type of Jamos I used to have:

For all they were efficient, they were also capable of coping with around 80W (real RMS Watts) per channel so when I connected them to a decent amp for the first time, needless to say my upstairs neighbour (I lived in the ground floor of a Tyneside pair at the time) was slightly annoyed that she wasn't invited to the party. Yes, they sounded every bit as subtle and laid back as they looked!
:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:39 am

i will have to post a pic of my wireless..