Hi-Fi

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
kevin

Hi-Fi

#1 Post by kevin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:53 pm

So, totally non related to motoring.
I've decided I want to get back to playing vinyl instead of my iPod.
Anyone got any tips about makes, any secret makes out there that are great quality but not paying a premium for the name?
I want a pair of floor mounted speakers, amp and turntable.

Kev

JPB

Re: Hi-Fi

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:26 pm

The Revolver Rebel is probably the best value of any turntable currently available, its included arm is usable and is compatible with a vast range of moving iron and moving coil cartridges. The Rega Planars are also very competent but neither of these makers' products has any suspension so will need to be mounted well away from any of the speakers and other sources of vibration.
Amps are harder to find when records are your main source as these days, the phono inputs tend to be attenuated by simply decreasing their input sensitivity across the range rather than by means of the RIAA equalisation that's essential for most records from the mid fifties to the present time. Look for good used stuff from the likes of NAD or Arcam if no new solid state amps do the job for your ears. I had a Linn Intek amp for a short time but found it to be an overrated, bass-shy waste of space and the good old Arcam was dug out, recapped throughout and pressed back into use. I also have a pair of Hacker AL42 mono valve amps with huge, full range Goodmans' oval drivers in each cabinet. Valves are reliable and easy to get, just don't buy the Chinese gear whose bottles are there purely to provide a source of orange light with no direct influence over the signal path.
Modern speakers are mostly designed to cope with the artificially hollow bass you'd find on mp3 source material but the usual suspects can work just as well with vinyl as a source but again, newer stuff isn't really aimed at lossless, mechanical sources which is why Castle Severn 2 SEs are my current choice for regular use in the good room, with the excellent and amazingly inexpensive JPW mini Monitors for the dining room.

I'm ever so slightly keen on my records.. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 am

i have only 1 question when it comes to the radiogram, does it pick up radio 4 lw?

suffolkpete

#4 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:20 am

rich. wrote:i have only 1 question when it comes to the radiogram, does it pick up radio 4 lw?
Yes, but it's called the Home Service :D
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

alabbasi

#5 Post by alabbasi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:07 am

Is Richer Sounds still in business? They always had good deals on Stereos.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 am

They are, Al, and they still do decent kit at fair prices, but sadly, their emphasis has shifted more toward the digital stuff and the big TVs during the past few years. Many of their branches still have auditioning rooms though, which is a bonus.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:10 pm

I was there picking up a new TV earlier today :)
They have a superb range of speakers and amplifiers. i was REALLY tempted to upgrade my 15 year old HK 4500 but had SWMBO with me and didn't fancy an argument over spending money on "silly things".
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

kevin

#8 Post by kevin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:48 pm

What's a hk 4500?

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:24 pm

yes i need educating too? does linda snell sound even more annoying on this type of radiola? :?

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:17 pm

kevin wrote:What's a hk 4500?
An entirely satisfactory home cinema receiver. They sound adequate but aren't ideal for a mechanical source and have no suitable inputs for moving coil cartridges. Great for film sound though, especially when helicopters are involved.

http://www.amazon.de/Harman-Kardon-4500 ... B00006C7FF
J