Sticking brakes

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
EricTheRed

Sticking brakes

#1 Post by EricTheRed » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I have a 2003 Freelander TD4. If I don't use it for more than a day the rear brakes seem to stick on.

When I try to drive off the brakes are resisting, then there is a rather alarming bang and they come free and everything is back to normal. This had been happening for quite a while now. I took the rear brake drums off this afternoon to have a look but everything looked normal.

Any ideas?

TerryG

Re: Sticking brakes

#2 Post by TerryG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 pm

That's a bit new for us however the LRO forum is a very useful resource and one of them will undoubtedly know what's up with your landy.
http://forum.lro.com
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#3 Post by tractorman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:16 am

I would suggest that the brakes are damp when parking up and, with these modern asbestos-free linings, they tend to "rust" to the drums (or discs). The easy solution is not to leave the handbrake on for long periods - though this is probably not the answer if the back brakes stick on a vehicle with a transmission parking brake!

My last three cars have all suffered the problem and, even though I don't leave the handbrake on when the car is parked up, the pads will still stick to the discs when they are wet (so I avoid washing the car...)

The same thing happens with clutches - the Land Rover clutch stuck a couple of winters ago, when it was parked up outside. It was fine this autumn, after being parked in the garage for over a year. The big tractor suffers similar problems when not used regularly - the clutch is stuck, but now it is under cover, it frees itself fairly quickly. The little tractor's clutch has nearly expired, so I suspect it's pretty old (asbestos) and the tractor can be left outside and the clutch doesn't stick!

I will have to go out soon and move the big tractor and Land Rover (both in the "tractor shed") to make sure the clutches are free. However, it is a little bit wet outside at the moment and I don't want to make a mess of the lawn! It's also "closed season" for the vehicles - house repairs and renovation take priority in the cold and wet weather!

EricTheRed

#4 Post by EricTheRed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks tractorman. Just to clarify that the Mk1 Freelander does not have a transmission brake - the handbrake operates the rear drum brakes in a conventional manner.

Maybe I will resort to chocking the wheels if I know I'm not going to use the car the next day.

Murray

#5 Post by Murray » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

We have BMW 330d cars at work and all of those suffer the same brake problem, we have had our mechanics look at them but they say there isn't a problem.

tractorman

#6 Post by tractorman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:04 pm

When I wash the car, I usually take it out for a run to dry the brakes (certainly since I bought the Passat, which was washed weekly). I try to dry the brakes when I come home in wet conditions - lightly pressing the brake pedal while coming up our road. That's OK for me - it's only a couple of hundred yards on a housing estate in the country, not a main city road! However, the brakes had stuck a little when I got the car out to go shopping yesterday!

The problem is that there isn't a problem - at least, not mechanically: it's polished metal that gets wet and covered with flash rust!

Yes, asbestos was good for some things!

EricTheRed

#7 Post by EricTheRed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 pm

In my case it's got nothing to do with washing the car as I never wash it!

I have now got myself a couple of chocks and use them instead of the handbrake if I expect the car will not be used the next day.

Young Farmer

#8 Post by Young Farmer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Check the handbrake cables are not as stiff as pokers. I have had several cars where the handbrake would stick on and found the cables had gone stiff . Squirt oil into the end of the cable while someone operates the handbrake and give the outer a few pulls to get it supple. Worked most times for me. Can be worst in winter when any moisture in the cable freezing will make them stick on.

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:30 pm

my galaxy had frozen brake cables, they didnt come off with the bang.. have you tried reversing? it works most of the time :D