Could or should they reintroduce the paper tax disc?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 am

"DVLA decision found to have backfired as figures show government has lost as much as eight times as
it hoped to save!"

If the government has lost soo much money since they got rid of the paper tax disc and there are
more untaxed cars out on the roads.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/n ... -tax-discs
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

gazza82

Re: Could or should they reintroduce the paper tax disc?

#2 Post by gazza82 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:21 am

They won't ...

a) they will increase the rates on law-abiding owners

b) they will collect more with the fines they process

:roll:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 am

Hmm, the Grauniad's errors are usually spelling or geography based, but in that piece, they've taken a leaf from the Daily Mail's book by publishing something that's simply untrue:
The Guardian wrote:It was also easy for police to spot untaxed cars – something that it is no longer possible.
Utter bollocks! :roll: A car without VED will flag up ANPR devices automatically, the Police don't have to see a disc to know whether a vehicle is road legal. Journalists who shoot themselves in the foot lose any credibility they may otherwise have had but still; it saves competing sources from the bother.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#4 Post by tractorman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:03 pm

I would agree with John but I very much doubt that a policeman (or whatever) would bother to use ANPR on every car while walking down a street, where a tax disc of the wrong colour (or missing!) would have attracted their attention. It's all well and good saying ANPR can read the plates, but how many ANPR-equipped cars are about - and how many do you see on a normal journey. I think I've seen about three police cars in the last two or three trips to town and I suspect none had ANPR (no signs of cameras on the dash or wherever). OK, there's a chance I would have been caught if I hadn't paid my £30, but there will be plenty who will take the risk - just as they did with proper tax discs!

One thing that wasn't mentioned (I saw the story on teletext) is how many people have been prosecuted via the computer. The story gives the impression that there are still cars around without tax, but how are they avoiding the fines - and are they so dim that they keep getting fines and not paying them?

Perhaps they should do what they were doing with uninsured vehicles - impound them and then crush them if the storage/towing fee, tax and fine aren't paid!!

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:43 pm

JPB wrote:Journalists who shoot themselves
and thats a bad thing? :lol:

gazza82

#6 Post by gazza82 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Plenty of ANPR equipped white vans around our way .. usually to be seen sitting on a bridge over the M40 ... most likely with a couple of speed cameras hidden away too.

How many of these "criminals" are just people buying a second hand car that do not realise that the tax on it doesn't transfer ... when you sell a car now YOU claim back any unused tax (complete months only, so sell on 28th/30th/31st) and the new owner must rush out and tax it immediately.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

of course they should, I have a spacehopper disc holder.....

#7 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:12 pm

gazza82 wrote:..How many of these "criminals" are just people buying a second hand car that do not realise that the tax on it doesn't transfer ... when you sell a car now YOU claim back any unused tax (complete months only, so sell on 28th/30th/31st) and the new owner must rush out and tax it immediately.
And that right there is a crime! Seller of vehicle pays a full month of VED for the last 27 days of the month, or the last 3 days, buyer has to pay to "tax" the vehicle from the start of the month during which the transfer takes place, result is that the DVLA gets that month's VED twice in every case.
That's exactly the same kind of fraud that a well documented abuser of the system used to get away with when he still owned his social property around the T&W and South East Northumberland areas. NTC and Northumberland used to take six months to pay a claim after referral from one of the agencies involved in the implementation of social housing, the above mentioned individual would issue eviction notices after two months, he'd have another tenant in place by the third month and would be paid the full six months for the previously evicted tenant at the end of the sixth, so pocketing three months worth of taxpayers' money for free.. On all but a handful of his 400+ domestic lets. He was convicted of that eventually, but only after the local Police had spent a few years examining evidence and trying to find people willing to testify. That was a serious, well-organised fraud that - in the hands of a more intelligent perpetrator - could have paid off in an even bigger way. Tell me, in what way is the DVLA's extortion technique any different?
:x
Rich wrote:..and that's a bad thing..
Of course not, but some of them are quite useful in the right hands.. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Is it really much of a crime? I always try to get a "new" car on the first of the month and many places used to put a new tax on as a matter of course. The tax remaining on the old car would normally be the last thing I worry about. Mind you, that's mainly because my trade-ins are worthless (or write-offs!) and usually only have a few weeks' worth of tax on them. The exception would be the last Golf, which was written off about three weeks after I bought a year's tax! Though, to be honest, I had forgotten about that until Kev turned up with the tax disc that he'd pulled out of the car before the insurance people had seen it!

There again, if you're daft (or rich) enough to buy a new Range Rover in the middle of the month and use your old post 2001 one (with 11 months' tax) as a p/x and not think about claiming the refund, you deserve to be "robbed"!

sierra3dr

#9 Post by sierra3dr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 pm

tractorman wrote: but how many ANPR-equipped cars are about - and how many do you see on a normal journey. I think I've seen about three police cars in the last two or three trips to town and I suspect none had ANPR (no signs of cameras on the dash or wherever).
that's the issue,not enough ANPR vehicles out there. Very rare to see traffic police here in Manchester. More than likely because of government cutbacks. I almost got swiped by an untaxed bmw which was flooring it in lane one,whilst I and every other motorists moved into lane two due to roadworks in lane one

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:00 pm

The paper tax disc could come back tomorrow if the government wanted. The tax could also be collected without cost to the government, much like VAT, a tax that's collected by VAT registered traders.
Currently, all commercials and coaches are MOT'd after just one year. As a sweetener to garages, this could be extended to all vehicles. When the MOT is issued, at the bottom of the document would be your tear out tax disc. The road tax would be charged for on top of your MOT. The garage would then pay it into their tax account, same way as they do with VAT. For the first year, the vehicle would be taxed by sales outlet, charged on the invoice when purchasing the new car.