Computer question

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Minxy

Computer question

#1 Post by Minxy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:52 pm

So today at school the people who run our computer systems had to shut them down while they got rid of a nasty that a student managed to download. All computers were affected except the apple suite which got us talking as to why. There seemed divided opinion as to why apples were more immune and why, so my first question is why are Apple devices less likely to get infected(I assume they are not totally immune) Secondly, occasionally on my I-pad I can click on a link in a website and as the page tries to load the screen closes to the home screen if I then open safari again the original site loads but not the one I was trying to get on, is this the I-pads way of avoiding a possible dodgy site?
I'm not very computer savvy so a non technical reply will sink in better ;)
Thanks in advance
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

Fatbloke

Re: Computer question

#2 Post by Fatbloke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Apple Mac’s are just as vulnerable to infection or attack as PCs. However, there are far more windows PCs than there are apple. Therefore, most hackers/dodgy computer types/mischief makers write their naughty code for windows as there is far more potential to infect as many computers as possible.
I think it is this fact that leads to far fewer infections on apple and given rise to the myth that apples have better immunity.

PS. My daughter has an Apple laptop and it’s far superior to windows in every other respect! Can you tell I’m jealous?
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Which region do you work for, Minxy? I'm surprised that any still rely on Windows networks. Neither of the authorities that provide my bread & butter use Microsoft or Apple software and that's pretty standard in these here parts since it makes it so much easier for the departmental staff to nip things in the bud rather than having to call some shower of overpaid nerds in to sift through the servers, trying to hunt down malware that came with the inappropriate material that the students have been accessing. Our Mech & Prod geniuses of tomorrow are G-category so technically, although adults in the chronological sense, are still vulnerable and couldn't possibly have gone searching for naughty stuff deliberately..
Aye, right!
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Minxy

#4 Post by Minxy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Like I said John I'm not particularly computer savvy but our computers are run by an outside company and we have two of their guys permanently at the school - data spire I think the company is. Our teacher laptops have outlook and the usual Microsoft browsers on them. The fault was caused by a student accessing his personal e-mail account apparently, he opened a mail that was promising him riches beyond his wildest dreams. The company fixed it quickly so it was no great shakes but as I said above we were curious as to the subject of Apples immunity........oh and why my I-pad does what it does.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

alabbasi

#5 Post by alabbasi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:15 am

For the most part, it's the 80-20 rule. As 80% of computers are windows based, hackers who write malware and virus will get better results by attacking windows machine. I also think that the Apple OS is a UNIX based operating system. If it behaves like a UNIX OS, then it's very secure in that users cannot do that much damage unless they're logged in as root.

kevin

#6 Post by kevin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 am

Minxy wrote:Like I said John I'm not particularly computer savvy but our computers are run by an outside company and we have two of their guys permanently at the school - data spire I think the company is. Our teacher laptops have outlook and the usual Microsoft browsers on them. The fault was caused by a student accessing his personal e-mail account apparently, he opened a mail that was promising him riches beyond his wildest dreams. The company fixed it quickly so it was no great shakes but as I said above we were curious as to the subject of Apples immunity........oh and why my I-pad does what it does.
all ipads do that random close down annoying thing, Mine does it even more if I forget to double clic the bottom button and close all the pages from time to time.

Kev

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm

its not me!! honest! i never touched your apples... :lol:

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:54 pm

*Resisting temptation to make the obvious remark about other sorts of fruit..*

*Failing..*

Rich, this is a genuine (Apple) phone app, called "Plumometer". This app examines your plums, compares them with other plums and even allows people to organise plum comparing parties:

Sadly, I couldn't find a version that runs on Android or my phone would be kitted out with this! :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 pm

this is the only android i know of..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6QQ6omZXEk
:lol:

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Ah, good old Simon Groom, he never needed a map to find double entendre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfZcpLxBUKk
:|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3xMvLoQzs

Simon Groom for President! 8-)
J