Aquatic mammals, breaking for spears?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Aquatic mammals, breaking for spears?

#1 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:26 am

EBay sellers, please view the following photogasmic images and note the associated worms:

A seal:

A sill:
Image showing work on an Mr2 board member's car, thanks to her for the permission to put it up.

And a "Cill":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent ... sse_League

There now, that's really not so hard, is it? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

Re: Aquatic mammals, breaking for spears?

#3 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 pm

:lol: Good old Winner, he never did take himself too seriously!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#4 Post by arceye » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Yes indeed to the original post and the dastardly illiterate ebay sellers :D . But.. for some reason Riley RM owners seem to largely refer to their cars sills as cills, never quite figured that one out other than they are a little different from a normal metal sill.

Any ideas why :?: :? :)

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:37 pm

It's not just owners of the Rileys, some architects with car-related interests use the same word because "cill" (shudders..) is common in civil engineering. That said, so is large scale corruption and that's not right either.

I'm getting worse at this as I grow older though. :oops:
J

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:48 pm

And talking of unintentional spelling mistakes, 'specially for John here's a picture of a spear:

I do agree with the appalling quality of some people's writing on forums and adverts these days - did they not go to school at all???
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

i thought he wanted one like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4
:lol:

gazza82

#8 Post by gazza82 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Luxobarge wrote:I do agree with the appalling quality of some people's writing on forums and adverts these days - did they not go to school at all???
Most did .. but when teachers and exam boards are told to ignore spelling and grammar as they were in the days of Tony "Education, Education, Education" and so you don't hurt the little darlings feelings .. what can we expect ...

Wasn't there a report in the media recently about how current teachers and trainees are having to be taught grammar and maths!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Luxobarge wrote:And talking of unintentional spelling mistakes, 'specially for John here's a picture of a spear..
Ah!

I ought to have used some form of emoticon to convey irony in the thread title. :oops: the spelling error was intended, honest Guv'nor, it was. :| The word refers to one of the other annoying things that eBay and similar web venues throw at us these days, the sort of ad that offers a vehicle for sale on a "spears or repear" basis. I helped an acquaintance to buy a project car recently. That car was sold as an excellent sauce of spears, so imagine my disappointment when it turned out that it wasn't some sort of ketchup substitute, squeezed from the decaying corpse of Britney.

I even managed to find several listings that fit the bill:

Right Here!

OK, so most of those have repairs correctly spelt, but there really is no hope. :lol:
J

zipgun

#10 Post by zipgun » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:19 pm

I have two clients who insist " fourty pounds only" is correctly spelt :? They always go through though. Poor "breaks" on ebay cars drives me nuts ..and window screens :(