boats

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

boats

#1 Post by rich. » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:48 pm

ive been given a boat engine very similar to this one
http://www.marinehonda.com/product.php/ ... leg_remote
it was under water for 24 hours about 3 years ago & has been in my mates shed since... i have taken the plugs out & oil water has drained out of the plug holes.. otherwise it seems in good condition.. what is your advice chaps?

arceye

Re: boats

#2 Post by arceye » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:14 am

Given it has been submerged and then stood for so long I would think the smart money is in stripping it down for a check of cylinders / main bearings etc and then replacement of any corroded / damaged parts if needed. Not the sort of thing you want to fail when your away from the shore mate.

A friend of ours used to run an old 30's herring netter and had a new propeller fitted, was a bit of a bugger when he was drifting where the wind and waves decided to take him when it fell off :o coastguard came in handy that day.

Anyway, thats my thinking, if it was something land based you could just take a chance and try it I suppose but seems a little safety critical when out on water.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:58 am

Rich, Arceye is correct about the risks involved. With a broken engine in your boat, you might end up drifting and even starving to death, on an open sea, with only a tiger for company.

I have an alternative suggestion though: Send the engine to me, that way you avoid the risk and doing this may even save your life. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:43 pm

dont worry chaps, i dont plan on getting a boat.., i just like the idea of having something to play with now im classic free :( id like to sell it on later.. but at the moment i like having a 100hp workbench :lol:

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:33 pm

update.. ive been fiddling & found the drain plug & about pint of water drained out & a lot of brown slime.. i have removed the cam cover and there is a bit of mayonaise inside.. when i get time ill take pics & try & get the head off :)