threat to “max out” speed cameras on the M1

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

threat to “max out” speed cameras on the M1

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:21 am

A police and crime commissioner has threatened to “max out” speed cameras on the M1 to raise funds in the face of government cuts.

Olly Martins, PCC for Bedfordshire, said he could raise up to £1 million if he permanently switched on speed cameras that are usually only active when temporary speed restrictions are in place.

Mr Martins said: “I’m running out of levers to pull. Strict enforcement of the speed limit could raise £1 million
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/c ... 604893.ece
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Grumpy Northener

Re: threat to “max out” speed cameras on the M1

#2 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:37 am

Said police commissioner has his head up where the sun doesn't shine - has all funds generated from such activities go straight to central government and not to the local plod - But I would happy for him to do it - Providing the great general public can fine the plod everytime that plod under performs or fails to solve a reported crime / return the stolen goods or punish the thug correctly that carried out the crime in the first place.
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Minxy

#3 Post by Minxy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm

I don't see the problem at all. The speed limits are set on roads for a reason whether we like it, or agree with them, or not. Exceed them then one is committing an offence and deserves to be prosecuted.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 pm

do we get a refund when we have been caught up in a traffic jam & spent 3 hours doing 3 mph? :lol:

megadethmaniac

#5 Post by megadethmaniac » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 pm

no just another fine because if traffic is going at 3mph they will reset the speed limit to 2 mph to "improve flow"

sierra3dr

#6 Post by sierra3dr » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:09 am

Minxy wrote: The speed limits are set on roads for a reason
here here

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:07 am

sierra3dr wrote:
Minxy wrote: The speed limits are set on roads for a reason
here here
:thumbs:

:idea: Maybe the difference is between older and younger drivers? Maybe it's between those who've recently survived a collision that would probably have killed them, had the other car been speeding, and those still labouring under the illusion that they're indestructible? Either way, I've begun to experience smug satisfaction from sticking to the speed limit, then coming up immediately behind that lowered Corsa that passed me twenty miles back up the road when the traffic is all slowing to avoid the truck that's sitting in the carriageway with its cargo strewn across both north and south bound lanes.

All of that said; I still detest the sneaky way in which some speed traps are operated primarily as a source of income with little thought given to their effectiveness as a safety device. Yes, Police Scotland, and your use of camera vans on dry dual carriageways in conditions of perfect visibility with only the lightest of traffic around, that was aimed your way..
:x
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 pm

It's not just the sneaky way of the "Road Safety" people that gets me, it's some of the stupid speed limits they set - and where the limits start and end. There's a village nearby that had a 30 limit a few years ago and the road leading to the village is fairly twisty, so you get stuck behind tractors or old farts that can't do more than 40 anyway. However, on this side of the village is a nice quarter-mile straight road, with a farm about half way along. They set end of the speed limit just before this end of the straight - about a hundred yards from a crossroads, where the side roads are almost blind to the straight (so cars often have to pull out to see what's coming! Then they wonder why there are accidents and lots of near misses at the crossroads...

Similarly, there's another limit for a village on a hill on the way home from Carlisle. That ends well past the last house on the only straight bit of road for about four miles - it ends about a hundred yards before a blind RH bend. Luckily, the car in front of me ignored the limit and, as I kept to it, I didn't need to overtake him!

My real annoyance is the Golf needs to keep the revs up to keep the DPF clear. I have to stick to 3rd gear in 30 limits (according to the car - though it often tells me to go into second) and do something over 60 to be able to use top gear. Going around in low gears seems to defy the point of the "green" Bluemotion and does the fuel economy figures no good at all!