plumbing...

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

plumbing...

#1 Post by rich. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 pm

hi chaps, some of you may remember i put in a heat pump a couple of years ago.. its been running the main house which has cast aluminium radiators & soon i plan to connect up the other central heating system.. i have been told by a salesman that i must buy the same type of radiators as if i use ordinary steel ones there will be a reaction between the 2 types.. i have seen copper & galvanised steel react but never steel & ali.. i would apreciate any advice before i spend what little money i have left after our glorious leader has raided my bank account.. again

JPB

Re: plumbing...

#2 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 am

rich. wrote: i have seen copper & galvanised steel react but never steel & ali..
Buy a Discovery, that'll demonstrate nicely how steel and aluminium can react when there's some British 4x4 in the mix. :lol:

On the heating thing, does the corrosion inhibitor that gets added to the loop prevent this sort of thing? It's black and smells of rubber but not too much of the smell, that means that the pump diaphragm is toast or that my sister in law is hiding in your house..
:oops:
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Fatbloke

#3 Post by Fatbloke » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:00 pm

something to do with electrolitic corrosion isn't it?

I would go with the salesman on this one mate.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 pm

i have little faith in salesmen... one recently told a client that a wood burning stove would be more efficient if he used shorter lengths of wood :?

tractorman

#5 Post by tractorman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 pm

rich. wrote:i have little faith in salesmen... one recently told a client that a wood burning stove would be more efficient if he used shorter lengths of wood :?
Shorter lengths of wood mean you can close the door...

And yes, I've seen someone trying to use longer lengths like that :roll:

The instructions for my multi-fuel say the logs need to be about 200mm long. I use anything that will go in (from 100mm upto about 300mm).

I gather the regs for new houses are great for sales people: there's a new house being built not far from us that has to have Calor Gas central heating (no gas main within about eight miles) and, because they wanted a multi-fuel stove, this has to work the heating too. So there needs to be a thermal store (a bit like a reverse hot water cylinder). The stove is to be "double fronted" as it goes between two rooms and I suspect there will be little heat to the rooms as the "back boiler" is very well insulated.

What does make me wonder: there is no mention of solar panels. There's another new build at the other end of the village that has most of its roof covered with those. I gather that the inverters pack up on a regular basis on those systems - something the sales people don't mention!