registration plate text & large oval sticker 'GB' or 'UK' ?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

registration plate text & large oval sticker 'GB' or 'UK' ?

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:03 am

I remember sticking that white oval sticker to the which proudly had 'GB' in black letters on the car.
Not just for going abroad, but to cover a bad touch u paint job!

When a car goes abroad what is it now without a country designation on the plates what do we have
to apply to the old girl's rear 'GB' or 'UK' ?

The same question for registration plates 'GB' or 'UK' ?

I know I would rather have GB, but something tells me the kill joys either in Westminter or Brussels
will probably say otherwise!

Then comes the other question if Britain votes to Leave.EU what goes on the plates then?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

suffolkpete

Re: registration plate text & large oval sticker 'GB' or 'UK

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:11 am

Should still be GB. The designations are fixed by international agreement and ours has not changed.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Fatbloke

#3 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Yep. GB. My Europlates on the modern say GB under the circle of stars
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

Fatbloke

#4 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Mitsuru wrote:
Then comes the other question if Britain votes to Leave.EU what goes on the plates then?
Still be GB just no circle of stars. But I wont have to worry if that happens as I'll be out of work and wont be able to afford any cars. :cry:
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Fatbloke wrote:.....I wont have to worry if that happens as I'll be out of work and wont be able to afford any cars. :cry:
You, me and several million others! It's so ironic that the legislation which allows me to make my living in the way that I do was initially devised in a place whose residents take their entertainment from watching a herd of beasts pooing in a grid marked field and betting on which square said beasts pooh in. Yay!
:lol:

That said; I often wondered why GB, rather than UK was used because GB doesn't cover the entire United Kingdom, hence the separate GBJ, GBG, GBM and GBU plates that can be used quite legally by the residents of these areas. In the case of the Manx one, I believe it's compulsory but, if we were to use UK instead, then the same plate could be used by anyone from any part of the UK including the Falklands ;) . Just don't quote me on that last since body glass for my AE92 could be hard to replace if it were to be damaged in the night by a crowd of Welsh-speaking South American continental types, in a scene reminiscent of that episode of Top Gear, but without the camera crew.
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:35 pm

i really should put a gb sticker on my transit... :oops:

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 pm

rich. wrote:i really should put a gb sticker on my transit... :oops:
No need within the EU, or is that no longer the case? I'd make the buggers guess, but maybe that's just me & my funny little ways.. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mitsuru

#8 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am

Strange, no mention of the GBJ, GBG, GBM, GBU, etc. plates that are seen on cars from these places. :? Rich, looks like you're off the hook unless you display a Scots, Welsh or English plate and as you're French these days, why would you?
:lol: ;)
J

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:15 pm

i admit i have gone a bit native, but my truck & clio are still on english plates although wifey is trying to get them french registered :D