registration plate text & large oval sticker 'GB' or 'UK' ?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
GHT

Re: registration plate text & large oval sticker 'GB' or 'UK

#11 Post by GHT » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:59 am

I've never bothered with GB or any other plates, never been pulled up for it either. As far as I was concerned we were the only country with RHD., well at least since 1967 when Sweden jumped ship. So by inference a RHD car had to be a GB one. I haven't been to mainland Europe since RHD, Malta & Cyprus came into the European club.

Luxobarge

#12 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:29 pm

GHT wrote: As far as I was concerned we were the only country with RHD.,
Eh? There are dozens of countries that drive on the left - much of Asia, Australia, several African countries etc. and always have done. Basically, whatever used to be part of the British empire mostly drives on the left still......

See here:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -the-left/
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:13 pm

That's a really interesting page. I had no idea that our left hand traffic was a result of something that happened in the Swindon area or that the Romans were to blame. That was possibly how Italian cars were built in RHD for their right hand traffic system as recently as the 1950s in spite of their having been driving on the right since long before then.
Sweden is an equally curious one since they'd been using LHD cars in LH traffic long before the changeover to RH traffic was put into practice in 1967. If only they'd built the Volvos 444 and 544 in RHD to suit their LH traffic of the cars' period, it would mean that there'd be no need to go to Africa to find a RHD specimen of the famously bloody good old Swedish motor.
On African countries that inherited LH traffic with RHD cars from the days of colonial infestation; this British habit was taken to extremes in some of the African countries and in Australia where, up to quite recently, the importation and use of LHD cars wasn't allowed, hence the RHD African assembled 1940s/'50s Volvos and the Australian market RHD Corvette.

As for India; yes, they should be driving on the left in their Morris Oxfords, four door Triumph Heralds and Vauxhall FE Victors, but if TV documentaries are anything to go by, their highway code has only the four words: Every man for himself! I haven't been since an all too brief visit in the early eighties but even then, before traffic density had reached today's critical stage, returning a rented car to its supplier's premises in a still driveable condition was all that was required to get the deposit returned. The fire damage to much of the interior was overlooked because someone's grandmother could rattle off some new seats at home overnight, and also because the car was supplied that way.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#14 Post by GHT » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:14 am

Luxobarge wrote:Eh? There are dozens of countries that drive on the left .
I did realise that, it's why I used the term: 'by inference.'
Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly, apart from Malta & Cyprus, we are the only European nation to drive on the left. Unless someone knows better. If you ever find yourself on one of the British Virgin Islands, especially Tortola, you will drive on the left, but as almost every car is an American import, they are nearly all LHD. Yet they love driving on the left.

suffolkpete

#15 Post by suffolkpete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:27 am

Republic of Ireland?
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:11 pm

dont forget france! :lol:

GHT

#17 Post by GHT » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 am

suffolkpete wrote:Republic of Ireland?
They drive on either side, depends on how much of a skin full they have had.
rich. wrote:dont forget france! :lol:
I see that you have negotiated the roundabout at the Arc de Triumph, and survived to tell the tale.

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 am

GHT wrote:
suffolkpete wrote:Republic of Ireland?
They drive on either side, depends on how much of a skin full they have had...
:lol:

True story:

A few years ago, during a camping holiday in the RoI with Mrs B, we started walking back to our camping ground from a pub where we'd both imbibed far too much fine, foaming ale during the preceding four hours. We'd been walking for a very short time indeed when a Gard in a passing car stopped us and asked where we were going, where we'd been, why, how, etc.
The Gard then advised us that we should accept his offer of a lift back to the pub and that we should get in the car and drive back to the camping ground. I pointed out to him that we were both in a newt-like state and that was why we were walking, his response was to advise us that we'd be far safer in the car because the roads were full of drunken locals who'd more than likely run us over!
After arguing the point for several seconds, the Gard offered to lead us back along with his car, blue lights and siren going, to ensure that no walking foreigners were squashed that night! (Though [the Gard] did suggest that cyclists were fair game..)
That was when I drove under the influence for the first and only time and it was hard work, so much so that I couldn't fathom out how so many people do drive drunk, especially not with thae bright blue lamps in their face all the way home.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#19 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 am

You've probably heard a few Irish jokes in your time, but it must be the only time you've been in one :D
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6