Jeep Cherokees and THAT diesel engine

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
arceye

Jeep Cherokees and THAT diesel engine

#1 Post by arceye » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:20 pm

I've put this here as its a little new for the other sections, but, like the proverbial lamb to the slaughter I have picked up a 1997 Jeep xj 2.5 TD sport. Needs a little bit of plate to the bottom of sills but other than that its as nice / clean / straight example as I have seen.

It even seems to run ok but til I get a MOT I can't try it out too far, just a little run down the lane.

For a car so clean and straight it was silly cheap due to the bit of welding needed for the mot, its done 130 k but even that isn't really major miles for the age and it has been well looked after and regularly serviced, recent new springs / shocks and brakes too.

So, was the VM diesel engine really that bad..... any hints or tips to keep it right / get it on form etc, I do know it has had a recent new water pump which worries me a little as that may suggest its got a little too warm at some point, but up to now no evidence of head or gasket failure.

Given the engines reputation for head troubles whats the best coolant and ratio etc? anything to look out for re the cooling system?

Also, am I right in thinking these were cogs for the timing as opposed to belt or chain.

Other things to look out for on these?

Thought appreciated (preferably other than use it as an anchor as it really is a lovely motor)

Cheers Chaps

GHT

Re: Jeep Cherokees and THAT diesel engine

#2 Post by GHT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm

arceye wrote:So, was the VM diesel engine really that bad.....
Depends if it had any VW-esque dodgy software in it.

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

:lol: :lol:

Murray

#4 Post by Murray » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 pm

I have a VM diesel cherokee and to be honest there are loads of horror stories,but I simply allow the engine to warm up properly before using it in anger, plus I find I don't have to rev it over 2k to get the most out of it.
mine uses a bit of water but I intend to completely flush the cooling system before the winter sets in.
other than that I enjoy it even doing some green laning as well.

arceye

#5 Post by arceye » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks, an engine with mixed reviews and lots of scare stories, it does sound like keeping the cooling system in tip top shape (and proper on time servicing) along with gentle cold starts is the way to go. Some seem to have little bother and I'm kind of hoping a lot of the horror stories are down to poor maintenance and neglect.

Hopefully I'll get to the jobs required soon along with a good service / flush and refill of the cooling system then hope for the best :)

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:59 pm

is it the same engine that was fitted to the range rover?

arceye

#7 Post by arceye » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Been in a few things I believe Rich but yes it did make an appearance in the Range Rover.

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:17 pm

my old boss had a couple when new.. they seemed ok... he later had the ones with bmw engines, they seemed to be more trouble.. can we have pics of the beast?

arceye

#9 Post by arceye » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Light was fading Rich but managed to get a couple of shots from the front and brighten them up, needs a wash but you get the idea.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:58 am

cheers mate! it looks tidy enough & if the engine goes pop could you put in something else? is that a skoda pickup parked by it?