Edd China orange gloves

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Edd China orange gloves

#1 Post by mr rusty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 pm

I bought a box of these a week or so ago, but haven't had the chance to use them until this evening. I changed the discs on the Metro, a right filthy faff as the drive flanges have to come off, hammers, pullers, stuck hubs, phenomenally torqued nuts, scaffold poles, etc.....these gloves are awesome! So much better than anything else I've used, 3 hours of hard graft and not a single rip.....recommended.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

tractorman

Re: Edd China orange gloves

#2 Post by tractorman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:38 pm

I've been using them for about a year and they are great, though I have trouble getting them on - and they are "Extra Large" though my hand's aren't!

One big advantage is that they often do more than one turn - ie reuseable if not ripped or too grotty. It must save me more than the extra they cost! I've certainly made a box last longer than a box of vinyl gloves and the box I bought only had 90 rather than 100 (pairs I think!)

For those who don't know: they are "Tiger Grip" and I got them from someone on eBay (or two different people!) for about a tenner a box (not inc p&p)

And, like Mr Rusty, I saw them first on Wheeler Dealers - so the programme had some useful and informative content!!

Dave3066

#3 Post by Dave3066 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm

I've been using those for about 4 years now. I tend to buy 4 boxes and they last ages. Very much reusable. I pull them off and leave them inside out until I next need to use them, then turn them inside in and blow them up to get all the fingers out. Very good for winter too as they are long enough to pull over the sleeves of my wooly jumper :D

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

eddypeck

#4 Post by eddypeck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Glad I saw this, I usually pay about £4 for 100 latex gloves (50 pairs) but I have to admit I've never counted to see if I'm getting my moneys worth or not :lol:

I'd say I get through 3 or 4 pairs on any one job - few hours. On the odd occasion I've only had them on for a short while and they're OK I have taken them off thinking I could use them again but they usually fall apart when I try and put them on again, like the latex has 'gone off' or something.

So yes, paying double sounds like it would be good economy :thumbs: Added to my watch list for when I've used up my current stock.
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm a recent convert to nitrile from latex gloves and am helping work to use up its oversupply of the nitrile as most students prefer latex. Honestly, it's nothing to do with their being free! :oops: The xl often comes in the smaller quantity of 95 gloves. The smaller, medium and large glove comes in hundreds but the ones that my potato hands need come in 95s, and no, I don't mean 94 or 96! :?

Be aware that nitrile gloves tend only to have an expiry date about two years ahead at most and that some eBay sellers - including the resellers of the ones from Edd's site, which is where this gets relevant - are selling gloves cheaply because they're either running out of time or are already expired. This is less of an issue with the ones that come with the cornflower inside as they tend not to stick to themselves to the same extent so are often usable when out of date, but the non-powdered ones are like most everything else these days in that they're made to last to the expiry date and not much beyond. It's also illegal to sell them out of date without disclosing their expiry date so be careful when buying and report eBay ones that are sold out of date without disclosure to that effect in the listing.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

eddypeck

#6 Post by eddypeck » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Well I got some and have been using them for a while now and I have to say I am impressed. 2 pairs lasted a whole day where I'd usually get through about 20 of the latex ones.

I even did a fuel pump change and got covered in petrol, they did eventually disintegrate but it took a lot longer than usual. For what it's worth they get my endorsements as well now :thumbs:
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux

Classic Microcars

#7 Post by Classic Microcars » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:28 am

It is important to note though, that their size designation bears no resemblance to the real world. I bought XL and they are so tight as to be almost unuseable. I am 13 stone and under 6 feet tall, so not exactly big.