Stuff

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
kevin

Stuff

#1 Post by kevin » Sat May 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Does any1 else like buying older stuff for their man Cave? I do especially if the items are in their original boxes.
This weeks purchases, my wife despairs at me..lol

Kev

zipgun

Re: Stuff

#2 Post by zipgun » Sat May 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Awesome thread ! I bought a train/Airfix scalextric transformer ,at the bric a brac stall , because ...well.. i had the same one when i was small . This one turned out to be a German version :oops: ( I was so excited at finding it ,i failed to see the export model stamp on the box) and the plug is a round 2 pin so i cant try it without cutting it off ,and then it wouldn't be NOS anymore :? It is 240v though ! On the same slall, i bought a brand new SU Hs2 carb in its box for £5

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat May 16, 2015 2:30 pm

I used Hammant & Morgan stuff (transformer/controller and the relay/controller for the second line :oops: ) when I was into model railways. Good gear and not cheap tat like the Hornby branded controllers.
:thumbs:
It'll possibly come as no surprise to learn that I like this sort of stuff too...
Calculator, mint & boxed:
Rare Bush VTR103C with the mint & boxed Pifco motorist's lamp:
It's not only the box, there is a lamp in there, useful for the old dogging lark:

Then there are the radio sets, record players and the JVC five piece that was my 18th birthday box from the folks, I chose this over a mini van. I love the JVC and it is worth roughly a grand now as it's complete, works on every function, has all of the period accessories such as a matching carry case, the cable remote control and the original cling on the deck door, but hindsight is such a cruel swine as that mini would have made around £7000 if I'd kept and preserved it to flog on eBay nowadays. The JVC, with recently refoamed speakers, is in much the same condition now as it was when I received in back in 1982, the mini van that I didn't fancy was a 7,000 miles from new, 1964 example that was in immaculate, unwelded condition as it had never been away from this area so had never met salt. It was registered on the day I was born but I had XJR40 already and didn't want to swap my beloved A40 Farina for a "crude old van" (as the younger me saw it) at the time. Oh bugger! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#4 Post by kevin » Sat May 16, 2015 2:55 pm

zipgun wrote:Awesome thread ! I bought a train/Airfix scalextric transformer ,at the bric a brac stall , because ...well.. i had the same one when i was small . This one turned out to be a German version :oops: ( I was so excited at finding it ,i failed to see the export model stamp on the box) and the plug is a round 2 pin so i cant try it without cutting it off ,and then it wouldn't be NOS anymore :? It is 240v though ! On the same slall, i bought a brand new SU Hs2 carb in its box for £5

That's the same transformer I had back in the day, I'd love to get my hands on that!

Lovely stuff there too john, I have 2 of them lamps and a camping one on the way :D

Kev

zipgun

#5 Post by zipgun » Sat May 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Is that APT loco still running ? I used to have "Speed and Power " mag as a kid. Actually i still have them all ,apart from No.33 . :oops: There was a feature on it in one ..funny how an image can fire the memory.. It must be a classic loco now ,still looks fast ! That calculator is great . My Dads firm bought 2 when the just came out , red readout ... cost hundreds , in about 69 70 ? I remember there was a riddle , you had a partner tapping in these numbers of the riddle ...and the answer was 710.77345 .. You then turned the calculator upside down to read ShELL.OiL
Last edited by zipgun on Sat May 16, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Sat May 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Was APT not the tilting one that didn't get the job? That's surely an HST front/rear view on the box of the H&M? Or is my memory failing as badly as the tilting trains did?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

zipgun

#7 Post by zipgun » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 pm

I have no idea , I'm definately not a trainspotter !I've only been on a train twice in my life. Yep APT in Speed and Power tilted . Is that not the APT ?
I'm not digging out me old mags to see

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Sat May 16, 2015 5:56 pm

No, I do believe that's the Inter City 125, a bit like a DMU but with coaches between its identical engines, as used on the East Coast main line. I was on a train once. It didn't smell very good and the woman opposite vomited all over the floor which added some colour to an otherwise bland experience.
J

tractorman

#9 Post by tractorman » Sat May 16, 2015 6:11 pm

The loco on the box is indeed an HST (called "Intercity 125" in its day). The tilting APT was a PR disaster and, although the technology lives on in tilting trains (with better control systems), there were only four built (one prototype and three that were supposed to go into service as the first of several. According to Wiki, one is owned by the NRM and is at Shildon, another is somewhere near (or at) Crewe.

You can get adapter plugs to work continental plugs on UK sockets - my angle grinder (German make) and something else have them. Or the other alternative is a shaver adapter! It's a shame that H&M went under (some time ago) and Hornby bought the remains (so to speak). Hornby stuff was always cheap: a legacy from when the main firm was Tri-ang, who bought out the bankrupt Hornby - and sold Hornby Dublo stuff under the Wrenn label for a while before selling that off.

I fear I have lost interest in model railways - I have only soldered two wires on mine in the last three years or so!

Yes John, the HST was on ECML before it was electrified and got the nice new trains that had been used on the WCML for "testing". The WCML got the old HSTs (some of which were originally on WCML - and Settle and Carlisle on the odd occasion in the late 70s/early 80s, when we lived across the Eden Valley from the line)

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#10 Post by mr rusty » Sun May 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Virgin pendolino trains tilt, I don't think these day people even notice. I barely notice it, and I know that I'm on a tilting train, most folks neither know nor care. The only real indicator is visual, look out of the window and watch the landscape tilt. Its an interesting example of technology developed here with the APT, sold to Italy and then sold back to us via Pendolino...... The APT issue wasn't quite the disaster its portrayed as, it didn't help giving journalists a liquid lunch on a tilting train. Once the issues were ironed out they did run in service on BR for a while, and APT technology is worldwide now, a British engineering design success.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.