Haven't dinky toys improved?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
zipgun

Haven't dinky toys improved?

#1 Post by zipgun » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:53 pm

When i was a boy you didn't even get glass windows !

http://autoshite.com/topic/10758-shite- ... ii/page-58

tractorman

Re: Haven't dinky toys improved?

#2 Post by tractorman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Corgis had windows, Dinky didn't for a long time (probably into the sixties), though I did have a couple of Dinky (I think) Astons (DB5 rag top and a DB6) that were a lot better than my Morris Cowley (or Oxford - Uncle had a Cowley!).

I have a couple of modern model cars: a Wolseley Hornet (like my first roadworthy car) and a Mk4 Golf estate (the higher spec version on my last Golf). They are much better models than I had as a child. I've also got a couple of tractors that are a lot better than those I could get when I was a child: one is a Fergy like I used to own and the other is a David Brown, older than mine, but like a couple I worked with on the farms. I haven;t found a suitable Mk5 Golf - they all seem to have sunroofs!

Like model railways, things are much more accurate and detailed these days. The market has changed though - the collectors rule and fewer people are prepared to make kits to get the car/loco or whatever that they want. I know the model railway stuff is expensive now (probably not really, but £150 - £200 for a loco seems a lot!) and the manufacturers are making small production runs (from factories in China) so you almost have to buy before the models are made - let alone in the country!

100eJamie

Re: Haven't dinky toys improved?

#3 Post by 100eJamie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 pm

I collect these 1:18 model cars although I have up until recently concentrated on American cars. The detail on these cars is insane. However, a lot of the cars you see here (defiantly the first batch with the p6 and the interceptor) are actually resin and have no opening parts :(