Could the preverbial hit the fan again with the banks?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: Could the preverbial hit the fan again with the banks?

#11 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:17 pm

JPB wrote:
To arbitrarily delete posts on a whim does not seem fair
we use to talk bollocks about old motors.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

One post - in this very thread - that wouldn't be missed was made by someone :oops: who crawled out of a taxi after a spectacularly good night on the sauce, its author would actually be quite delighted to see it gone.. :x
can we have more details of said night out :D

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:28 pm

No!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#13 Post by tractorman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I confess that I usually ignore these "have you seen <...whatever...> in the news?" posts as my answer isn't really of any interest to anyone but me (and I suspect that's the same for other members!). I go by the saying "never argue about religion or politics" (but also include such things as "is a Moggy better than an Anglia?" debates!) - there are things it isn't worth discussing as you won't change your opinion and the others won't change theirs (I wonder why Jehovah's Witnesses bother going round "flogging" their views). What starts as a friendly discussion can soon become a big row - and causes grief for moderators!

I moderate a forum that has some blazing rows at times. Some of the members are farmers and some think they are highly skilled engineers - but aren't, so it can be a volatile mix of members! A lot of the problems are because one or two like to show how much they know (or think they know) and either give a wrong answer or forget what the original question was about! However, I rarely delete posts - a considered "Moderator mode" comment is usually enough for people to get the message without feeling their contribution isn't welcomed.

The last site manager refused to have an "Off Topic" area because of the risk of political or religious rows, but I have suggested to the club's committee members to look at this site's Off Topic area as an example of how it can work well. I suspect that says a lot about how good the moderation is on this forum - and how mature (most of) the members are!! We have the choice to contribute or not and, usually, contributions are light-hearted and interesting (though there are topics I don't bother reading!).

I did frequent a "car site" that has separate areas for all sorts of non-car stuff (eg a Pets' area, a DIY area and a Financial area) and, while there were some good questions and answers, there were a lot of opinionated members who would throw a lot of abuse if someone said something they didn't like. As I wrote, I DID follow the forum for a while - three or four months at the most!

Yep, interesting posts and sensible (ie good) moderation makes this site a nice place to be!

Mitsuru

#14 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:16 am

Well anybody got anything with Aviva? (pensions, savings, investments etc)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 68427.html
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:30 am

Mitsuru wrote:Well anybody got anything with Aviva?......

:?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#16 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

hornchurchmale

#17 Post by hornchurchmale » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:23 pm

oops my comment of London air pollution and historic cars..er seems to be posted in wrong section. sorry about that. as to banking. my son works in that area. points out that all countries are vying to be rich and don't care about others generally ( money rules) . though Uk now seen as 'daft' and weak both politically and military so that why countries are pushing the envelope against UK. ( don't expect support from USA this time) could go on and explain about leaving EU versus staying in but a pointed out its really a forum for us with an interest in classic car and not.politics.train spotting or stamp collecting. rant over ..off to have a beer and think about setting fire to my car sigh yes.off road yet again..

rich.

#18 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:29 am

have a beer mate,just to calm your nerves a little :lol: