Fuel at under a £1 per litre possible

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

Fuel at under a £1 per litre possible

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Well with the Petrol price falling gradually and it being £1.09 per litre at the moment. I was surprised to
hear on the news that the supermarkets are to reduce it by a further 2pence per litre!

So if you take it at £1.079 per litre by the end of the week is possible, then I can add a further discount
of 8 pence off per litre (club card discount at tescos) I can therefore get to under a £! per litre :shock:

When was the last time anybody could say that legally?

And will get low enough that vouchers and money off coupons aren't going to be needed?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

MG Mal

Re: Fuel at under a £1 per litre possible

#2 Post by MG Mal » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:15 pm

I have reached max discount on my tesco saving thing. I plan to use it on the 31st Jan (day it runs out) to fill my defender (80ltr tank)

I hope to be paying as close to 80p per ltr as I can! :)

megadethmaniac

#3 Post by megadethmaniac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm

We may see £1 per L but I don`t think that this will be a long term thing.

As I understand it the Saudis have kept the taps open whilst other (new to oil production) states are trying to get a foothold in the market. This includes the frackers.

The new states have high initial costs and the low price serves as a deterrent. I believe that much of the US fracking operations have been funded through Government loans and these were in tern funded through quantative easing ie the Us Gov chucking cheap money about the economy. Despite this talk is that many frackers will go to the wall and the Us Government end up with yet more debt....

Long term without these companies oversupply dries up and the price rises, or so the Saudis hope....

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Wake me up when forecourt fuel is cheaper than veggie oil & turps from the Costco... :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 pm

I had 16ppl off at Tesco earlier which was a nice surprise.
If fuel prices drop too far the gvt will just add a few pence on to the tax to bring it up again and even when crude rises again we will be stuck with the extra tax.
in the long run the motorist loses as usual.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

sierra3dr

#6 Post by sierra3dr » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:44 am

After this phase of reduced fuel price,it'll shoot up to 1.38

Richard Moss

#7 Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:44 pm

The general feeling in the oil market is that the price will stay low for quite a while. The guys out here in the sand pit are trying to hurt that Yanks (with their shale oil now coming on stream) by artificially depressing the price. Meanwhile, you can bet that the Yanks won't easily give up their new-found freedom from dependence on Middle Eastern oil. That's good news for oil consumers but less so for producers (where's you independent budget now, Mr Salmond/Miss Sturgeon?)

Luxobarge

#8 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 pm

I suspect that the Americans are more than happy with the dip in oil prices for the moment, given the effect that it's having on Putin and the Russian economy.......
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Richard Moss

#9 Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Luxobarge wrote:I suspect that the Americans are more than happy with the dip in oil prices for the moment, given the effect that it's having on Putin and the Russian economy.......
Quite.

Phil P

#10 Post by Phil P » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Yesterday I went to my local Total Garage and filled up my '42 Dodge Weapon Carrier WC51 for 108.9p. 30 gallon tank. Got back to the Workshop only to discover that the hose connection on the tank filler neck was leaking! :o Do I try and tighten it and have it break?......No. Today I took it to the local MVT area BBQ. A blast pedal to the metal down the A5 cured the problem! 55 mph at 7 MPG got it down below the leak. Gee it felt good. Up the carb governor through the revs. Luvverly jubbly. :lol: BTW the tyres are only 2 years old.

You're never to old to be a hooligan. :roll: