It's a modern so off topic. Astra problem irratic idle

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

It's a modern so off topic. Astra problem irratic idle

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:09 pm

It's a mk4 astra 4 cylinder petrol and it's mothers!!!

I left it running with the putting a fresh battery on as it hadn't been run for a couple of weeks and
mother would never let it run to get to proper engine temp as she does so many short trips!

While it was running I notice a werring notice which appeared to be the power steering pump which
was at steering rack level with the reservoir on top, and that was behind and under the fusebox and
battery setup. And someone had fitted an after market alarm siren right in the way so nobody had
moved it to fill that up!

I left the engine running for 20 - 30 and came back to a back of spanners in a washing.I checked
the oil level was fine if very black and the usual mayo in the cap of the rocker.
I pulled the air filter not not that looked fine no suction in the pipe to the throttle body. I pulled what
looked like a vacuum line and the car reved and levelled out even if a little high. It looks like one of
these fly by wire set ups for the throttle as I couldn't find a throttle cable to pull to rev the engine
while under the bonnet.

There are 2 pipes from the rocker cover one larger than the other the large one before the throttle
the other after. I reconnected the hose I had orginially removed an uplugged the thin rocker cover
one which was better but less revy!

The hose I had actually unplugged and then plugged back in looked like it could have been a remote
idle air control valve. There were no signs of damage to any of the cables, which was something that
I though might have caused the problem.
There is a little black smoke at times from the exhaust, so I was thinking that the rocker cover pipe
might have fed the intake some oil and it's bunged it up or the idle air control valve is shot!
The engine light is on! before someone asks. I am about to reconnect the battery as I disconnected
hoping it would be like the neon that only needs to be disconnected for 30 min to reset the ecu.

Going to see if a blast up to and along the a19 might help :shock:
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Mitsuru

Re: It's a modern so off topic. Astra problem irratic idle

#2 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:57 pm

As you read this please do so as though it was Stephen Fry or John Cleese who is reading it aloud
to you in an school masters voice for best effect!

After putting a fresh battery on mother's dear little astra which still sounded worse than a back of
spanners when I had started her back up! It could not do a 3 point turn without stalling it's self!

I took it for a spin, I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and gave the bitch a dam good thrashing!

It appears that my hunch had been correct on 2 fronts, 1 mother had been putting the wrong grade
oil in and that it had been choking the breather and getting into the intake manifold. And 2 that as she
never lets it get up to proper running temperature (which I did before giving it the rough stuff) had
not been able to burn the crap out of the system!

I did also add about a half cup of transmission/power steering oil to the engines oil to thin it out and
make it easier to change later. I did this before the jaunt.

It does appear to have worked, I did stop off at the local co-op on the way home and it started back up
okay, so I will have to try it again tomorrow from cold! But IF it stars doing the rough/irratic/poor idle I
will post back with relevant details!

The check engine light is still lit! And so is my father, as I must have spilt a touch of power steering fluid
when trying to fill the badly placed reservoir.

Mitsuru

#3 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 pm

By a dam good thrashing as soon as the elderly driver of a Korean compact with sports racing stripes
over it had finally moved into the slow lane. I dropped it down a gear and revered her up to over 5,000
rpm's at 80mph before changing up!

That modern 2010+ Porche on the road from the A19 down to coast road must have been wondering
what was under the bonnet as the 1.6 powered astra was stuck in his rear view mirror at a good speed
down that twisting country 'B' road. (It helps if you know the road blindfolded :lol: )

Mitsuru

#5 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:44 am

I have forgotten to add the battery taken off the astra may not be faulty!
As when I connected up the fully charged battery I did get a hell of a spark, and I had made sure all electrics had been turned off to begin with!

Phil P

#6 Post by Phil P » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 am

One of the best tune ups you can do. Thrash the nuts off it! It kills or cures. Change the oil and filter hot and let it drain over night. Put some good quality oil in it and change the plugs. Flush the radiator and engine through and refill with a 50:50 mix of anti freeze and water. It should be good for another year of tortoise motoring after that. Put some 97/98 super unleaded in it. NOT from Morrisons!

saab900

#7 Post by saab900 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 pm

don't get me started on morrisons fuel :evil:

Phil P

#8 Post by Phil P » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 am

You'll struggle to get started on Morrisons fuel! :lol:

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:56 pm

have you thought of dynamite?

Mitsuru

#10 Post by Mitsuru » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:59 pm

On both the car and mother! :lol: