peugeot

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

peugeot

#1 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:07 am

ive been nominated to change the thrust bearing on a mates 406 hdi, any tips chaps??

JPB

Re: peugeot

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:41 am

Yes, take the opportunity to throw away the DMF - if it's a 136, the 90 doesn't have one - while you're in there! :evil: 'kin evil things, best replaced with a solid flywheel.
Sorry mate, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward for anyone who has eight quadruple jointed claws on each hand and can see round corners. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#3 Post by tractorman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:04 pm

I have no problems with DMFs, I suspect that "Internet Myth" has made them appear more fragile than they really are. Perhaps it's another Internet myth, but I have read that there can be problems with the gearbox when changing over to solid flywheels.

I had a new clutch fitted to the last Golf and didn't change the DMF (in spite of dire warnings on the web). Guess what - it was fine three years later and hadn't exploded as the doom merchants predicted! However, when the current Golf's engine was changed, I did get a complete clutch kit (and new water pump etc etc) to make a thorough job.

Note - on both occasions I made myself unpopular with the local garage - Kev hates the job almost as much as I do! Yep, my advice is to let someone else do it - and you stand a chance of remaining on good terms with the owner!

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:32 pm

The DMF in Dad's 07 Jetta is still fine at 150k, measuring the spring travel shows it to be as good as new. The one in my 13 plate Glof, on the other hand, rotates relative to itself by a massive 3 degrees more than it ought and is already rattling like a room full of Trabants with buggered bearings, it's 15 months old and has yet to reach 80k :oops: .
I reckon it's because mine has (dry clutches) DSG7 and his has (wet clutches) DSG6, he reckons it's because I leave it in eco mode all the time so it changes up too soon and the torque at those lower engine speeds is going to kill its transmission, starting with the DMF and working to the left. OK Dad, whatever you say.. ;) I ought to care, but it's under warranty and I keep my frozen parsnips in a more interesting bit of equipment than any modern motor, even a Honda Civic.

Rich, getting someone else to do the job is a BIG GIRL's way out of the situation. :P ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#5 Post by tractorman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:55 pm

I ignore my Golf when it tells me to change up - it sometimes decides that it's OK to go in top at about 40MPH (and that's very low engine revs - it only does about 1800RPM at 70). I change down when it says though - that's usually it deciding the DPF is getting ready for a regen session and, if I drop a gear or two, it clears itself nicely.

I found with the last Golf that they need to be driven more like a petrol-engined car than like an old fashioned diesel - which is a pain as I don't like driving petrol-engined cars! However, even with some enthusiastic driving, I find that the economy hardly changes from the 54ish MPG (for both the last and current Golfs) - still below the 56MPG of the first Golf (Mk2 1.6D) - though there is little that overtakes me these days!!

I'd be a lot happier about changing a clutch on a modern if I had a lift of some sort. I won't be taking the Landy to Kevin if it needs a clutch - the loader tractor is OK for that gearbox, but not precise enough for the compact engine bay of a Golf (or other modern stuff). Nor would I fancy using the tractor to lift the front of the car to drop the gearbox down.

I was talking to Kev yesterday and he said Alec will be retirement age next year and, if Alec retires, he (a lad of 62/3) will retire early. It's a heck of a long walk to the next garage (9 miles to a similarly aged bloke) - there isn't a bus either!

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:41 am

thanks for that chaps, mate couldnt get it started so im not sure when it will arrive... main problem is the thrust bearing is squealing like a piggy :lol:

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am

rich. wrote:thanks for that chaps, mate couldnt get it started so im not sure when it will arrive... main problem is the thrust bearing is squealing like a piggy :lol:
Then burn the evil car and move on. :thumbs:
J

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:23 pm

remember this one chaps??
car turned up this week, dead battery etc smells like an overloaded ashtray i wouldnt give it to the scrappy but mate is skint... where do i start?? :? ive got it running but it handles like a sailing ship. i think its an awful car!

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 pm

call le scrap man. he'll probably get a couple of euros for it. that fixes the "skint" problem.

Given that the 406 is now firmly in banger territory, if it has knackered suspension, a knackered charging system and needs a thrust bearing, it may be cheaper to find another car.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:57 pm

id suggested that but as the chap is going through a rather messy divorce type thing (glenn close but worse, much worse!) he cant afford it.. i just need a bit of a guide & inspiration...