Keeping birds out of the garage!

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: Keeping birds out of the garage!

#11 Post by JPB » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Members of the crow family make great pets, IMHO.
Simon does his own thing much of the time, is entirely self sufficient so only eats chips socially, has an evil sense of humour and is far, far better at getting rid of the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come knocking than I ever was without the support of a semi-wild bird whose vocabulary must include every obscenity known to humankind and some that aren't.

The funniest thing - apart from when that mad old bird tells the unwanted callers exactly where to stick their Watchtower - is sitting in the back garden on a summer afternoon teaching him the lyrics to Blink 182 songs. Well one in particular. One that has next door's Yorkshire Terrier very worried indeed.

I don't have a garage at home, by the way. :oops:

I do like tractors though. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#12 Post by rich. » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 am

how many farm workers do we have on here? ex farm worker myself..... :D

TerryG

#13 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 am

I'm not a farm worker, I do like mucking about on the farm though. My mother in law ownes the farm and I own a house with my other half about 1/4 mile down the road. It's handy because there is a big workshop with every tool you can imagine for maintaining the equipment and there are some REALLY big toys (tractors, HGVs, a loadall, etc). You've gotta love farm machinery.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#14 Post by tractorman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 am

I was a farm worker when I left school (1970) and did the Agriculture Colledge bit. I'd been befriended by a local farming family when we moved to a country parish in 1961 - and have just been to a farm sale (machinery only) at the weekend for one of them. 50 years of memories, which was rather sad!

I left farming in 1978, before realising it was cancer that was causing problems and not the work itself. However, when we moved back here in 83, the friend who has just sold up gave me three year's work - and then milk quotas and his son robbed me of a lot of overtime - and potential work elsewhere.

I kept my hand in while doing other jobs, helping friends with hay/harvest and some stock work, but they have all retired. The only way I could get my "tractor fix" was to buy my own!

I suspect there are quite a few farm workers (and ex farm workers) on the forum - I spot some on other forums by comments and photos!

TerryG

#15 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Cheers Luxo, rummaging about on the interweb I found this:
http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/prod ... er-pk.html
and this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/pvc-corrugated- ... vt/240166/
I just need to measure my fantastic aspestos roof to make sure i get the right thing then fill in the gaps and no more washing bird poo off my roof :D

Luxobarge

#16 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:27 pm

TerryG wrote:Cheers Luxo, rummaging about on the interweb I found this:
http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/prod ... er-pk.html
and this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/pvc-corrugated- ... vt/240166/
Yep - either of those products will do the job, that's what I had in mind. You'll typically find that any major DIY outlet will do similar stuff, e.g. homebase, B&Q etc. or builder's merchants - Jewsons, Travis Perkins etc.

Have fun! ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

bnicho

#17 Post by bnicho » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 am

I hate effing birds in the garage. Especially when the top is usually down on the Moke. I used to come back and find crap on the seats and dash.

I used the same stuff Luxo pointed out to plug the gaps between the stringers and roof. For the most part it's effective.

One stupid sparrow kept squeezing around the rubber seal on the sliding door and trying to build a nest on the top of the track. I ended up shoving an old scourer in the gap. That stopped her.

I still get the odd bird that manages to get in the gap between the roller door and the door frame. Not sure how to tackle that yet. Maybe a flap of rubber.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

TriumphDriver

#18 Post by TriumphDriver » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 am

This is my little mate who keeps birds from the garage. Everything I do, he has to be stuck in the middle of it, as in this Spitfire restoration, so once the garage door opens he's inside waiting to see what we're going to do. He also loves chocolate, to the point of obsession, which I suppose doesn't make him a bad cat... :)

My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

TerryG

#19 Post by TerryG » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:58 am

As long as he doesn't leave you little presents on the roof of the car like the birds do on mine ;)
It's nice to have company while you're working in the garage and if that cat is as warm as he looks you could put him inside your jacket as a substitute hot water bottle ;)

TriumphDriver

#20 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 am

TerryG wrote:As long as he doesn't leave you little presents on the roof of the car like the birds do on mine ;)
Not even in the footwells.... although his little tabby mate uses an upturned hubcap for a loo... very strange as it wobbles and rocks as she sits on it. It does keep the garage floor clean and free from little mines tho.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!