for the cylists among us

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: for the cylists among us

#11 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am

I still don't understand why grown up human beings would ride about with peeled bananas down there, and try to claim that it's purely practical! :lol: There are a couple of cyclists (as opposed to people who cycle to work because that's simply how they get here) in the department and they smell like the interior of my composter when they're changing into their working kit on a morning. :(

Surely cyclists can buy some form of cream in a tube that does the same thing?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#12 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:35 pm

I quite agree with Mr Rusty (We have those yobbs who try to play chicken. I was in the V8 once and one of them walked into the road, so I drove at him and floored it; his expression soon changed as he dived for cover). I think one problem is people seem to have lost the art of using the gearbox and this is aggravated by the fact that many underestimate the speed of the bike they wish to pass (Probably judging it according to their own level of fitness).

The so called banana is simply a combination of anatomy and tight fitting clothing, that has padding strategically placed. Chamois cream helps with chafing (Never found it an issue myself) but it won’t provide padding. I’m afraid all athletes can smell, which is partly why when I visit the “Old Barn Tea Room”, which is on one of my favourite drives / rides, I take the car.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

JPB

Right, but when I say banana, I mean....

#13 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Click 'ere
SAUK Triathlon Club wrote: 10. Is it true that some cyclists put a banana in their shorts when doing long rides?
Yes, in the past, and it is feared even today, some cyclists would put a banana under their shorts to soften the repeated bashing of their undercarriage by the bike seat. Some cyclists even used raw steaks to help prevent saddle rash.
That's what I'm talking about and yes, I know people who admit to this odd type of herb abuse! Eeeewwww. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#14 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't know anyone who has done that. Saying that, Triathlon is a relatively new thing and just as in the early days of mountain biking, some of the avante garde, of the new order, thought they knew better than people who had been cycling for years. You do hear some funny things from triathletes.

In the days of the Brooks saddle, you just broke them in and they molded themselves to your shape. You just got used to it. Nowadays with gel saddles, even gel padded shorts, there's no need to suffer.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

rich.

Re: Right, but when I say banana, I mean....

#15 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

JPB wrote:Click 'ere
SAUK Triathlon Club wrote: 10. Is it true that some cyclists put a banana in their shorts when doing long rides?
Yes, in the past, and it is feared even today, some cyclists would put a banana under their shorts to soften the repeated bashing of their undercarriage by the bike seat. Some cyclists even used raw steaks to help prevent saddle rash.
That's what I'm talking about and yes, I know people who admit to this odd type of herb abuse! Eeeewwww. :|

did they eat them afterwards? :lol:

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Sorry to sound like a 6 year old girl but
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

TriumphDriver

#17 Post by TriumphDriver » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:19 pm

mr rusty wrote:

I don't know why we seem to have this conflict between cyclists and drivers all the time,
Not just cyclists and drivers but pedestrians and cyclists as well. The problem is not the cyclist, but the SPORTS cyclist who races. We have a number of teams in my area and every Wednesday evening, and most Sundays, the roads are unsafe to use due to 'time trials'. They can't stop for lights, or signs, or other traffic - it's a race and they have to keep going. "Sorry mate it's a time trial" is the usual reply when I've stood on the brakes and blasted the horn. Our local towpath is also unsafe to walk on due to guys in skin-tight yellow jerseys coming at you four or five abreast as fast as they can pedal and swearing when you don't step aside.
Cyclists I would give every courtesy to, but these guys really push the limits.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Martin Evans

#18 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Time trials are races against the clock, where riders start at one minute intervals, so you won't see bunches of them together. All competitive events, run on public roads, have to be organised with Police approval and time trials are not organised where there are traffic lights. Our club 10 course was abandoned when traffic lights were installed on the road we used.

A road race is different; the riders are not spaced out as in a time trial and so it is possible for the Police and race officials to follow the event and control the traffic as the race passes.

You certainly won't find races on tow paths; the ones we have around here are not generally suitable for anything other than a mountain bike. I suspect that the five abreast mob, you have seen, are probably aggressive BMW driving brats the next morning (Since we seem to be into stereotyping lets go for it). People like that are not like it because they ride bikes or drive BMWs; they are like it because they have over inflated egos and no manners.

Being in the cycle trade and a former competitive cyclist, I have met my fair share of cyclists. They come from all walks of life and are a complete mix of personalities. When some come into the shop, they are a pleasure to serve, whilst others are what we call "Deep breath customers" (A small number we even refuse to serve). It's similar with Internet customers; we have our regulars but you will always get those who are never satisfied. I can say with certainty that anyone in the classic car trade will say the same thing about their customers. There will be some members of this forum, who to some traders are (With justification) "Deep breath customers".

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 am

whs...
out here ive managed to find a##holes in all walks of life..
back on topic
so does anyone fancy a trip along the loire

TriumphDriver

#20 Post by TriumphDriver » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 am

Martin Evans wrote:Time trials are races against the clock, where riders start at one minute intervals, so you won't see bunches of them together. All competitive events, run on public roads, have to be organised with Police approval and time trials are not organised where there are traffic lights. Our club 10 course was abandoned when traffic lights were installed on the road we used.

You certainly won't find races on tow paths;
Not official ones, however: http://banbridgecc.proboards.com/index. ... 848&page=2
They refer to them as 'leisure runs' but appear to have to swerve a lot to avoid walkers or dogs.
As with any hobby, it's the irresponsible idiots who let the side down.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!