wheeler dealers trading up

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Oldcarnut

wheeler dealers trading up

#1 Post by Oldcarnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm

I assume some of you are looking at the new series from Mike Brewer where he tries to trade up from a very cheap car right up to a 30 grand sports car by going around the world to do it.I find its watchable anyway.The first one saw Mike traveling to India.Mike was a "little" out of place to say the least with such hot temperatures, it was not surprising to see Mike all sweaty.He might appreciate how much he relied on Edd in the other show when he did not have him to "fix up" the motors.

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler- ... ode-guide/

Some behind the scenes vids there as well

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler- ... tch-a-Ride

TerryG

Re: wheeler dealers trading up

#2 Post by TerryG » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 pm

I fast forwarded through the first two cars but watched the Hindustan ambassador. So far, it is watchable. It may get more interesting as the series goes on :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Oldcarnut

#3 Post by Oldcarnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

yeah, according to that site, other cars that features are Triumph spitfire, land rover,volvo coupe,saab 96,Toyota, Beetle,and chevy camaro.Will watch them alright.

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 pm

That was much more like it. No stupid Suzuki or Tata. Real cars :)

Oldcarnut

#5 Post by Oldcarnut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 am

Ah Mike had to put in "some"elbow grease himself instead of abusing poor Edd.All cosmetic changes though.Can all this type of add ons really boost up the price of the car?

I like the show though.

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

I would argue that a car with clean spoked wheels (the ones on that spit didn't look great even after they had been painted) would be worth a bit more than one with crusty ones and having good seats will certainly make a difference. I bought a vdp allegro once just to get the interior (the car was 95% rust but the seats were perfect). I'm not convinced that it would add £1000 to the price but it would certainly add a few hundred pounds to have a car ready to drive rather than one that needs £500 spent to have someone else do all the work.

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 pm

It's good to know that if your car needs easy start to get it going that all you have to do is replace the fuel pump. Also nice to know that to prime the fuel system with a mechanical pump all you have to do is turn the ignition on and pump the accelerator a few times.

Oldcarnut

#8 Post by Oldcarnut » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Two things dont make sense on this show.First if the pump was gone, spraying easy start would only get it going briefly.You couldn't drive anywhere.Second, why didnt the chap that bought that green yoke just buy it from the chap that Mike bought it from? Mike looks totally out of place working on the fiddly bits,not a natural.See the gloves he was wearing?.......... :D

The lady phoned her boyfriend and he listened to the engine of the Saab on the phone, ...I have heard it all now :P >Mike nearly got burnt with that el camino.

hobby

#9 Post by hobby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 am

TerryG wrote: I'm not convinced that it would add £1000 to the price but it would certainly add a few hundred pounds to have a car ready to drive rather than one that needs £500 spent to have someone else do all the work.
Mark Evans does a DVD on cleaning a car and if I remember rightly the clean one at the end of the show did indeed add a fair whack to the asking price... It was a BMW in his vid...

jimmyybob

#10 Post by jimmyybob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Why are all the prices quoted in US Dollars as well, even the UK edition was in Dollars