breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: breakdown truck

#3551 Post by Dick » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:55 pm

GHT

#3552 Post by GHT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:46 am

Duesenberg_Convertible.jpg
Duesenberg_Convertible.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
A 1935 Duesenberg SJ LaGrande Dual-Cowl Phaeton.
I find that the name is most memorable. A shame that my missus is asthmatic, all that pollen when the roof is down.....

Dick

#3553 Post by Dick » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:57 pm

That's lovely!
If you wanted something with windows and a roof, you might find this useful

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2024731683.htm

GHT

#3554 Post by GHT » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:29 pm

Do you garage your car? Space for a garage a problem? You just don't think outside the box, do you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kDNjPAjJI

JPB

#3555 Post by JPB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:40 pm

Mmm. Maruti-Suzuki in bright red. :drool:

And for a bonus point, what make and model names did that car wear in its UK market guise?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3556 Post by Dick » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:00 am

Swift? Baleno is bigger?

GHT

#3557 Post by GHT » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Dick wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:00 am
Swift? Baleno is bigger?
Yes but is it faster?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmpcwZgRMIE

GHT

#3558 Post by GHT » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:19 am

mot1.jpg
mot1.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
What is this? The motoring nerds will say, easy-peasy, it's the front seat of a 1953 Morris Oxford. They can't think beyond motoring.
I'll tell you what it is, although the column change gear lever and the under-dash mounted handbrake are big clues.
Their absence makes it so much easier to indulge in the sport that every generation's teenagers think that they invented.
And if the Morris Oxford was around when you were a teenager, you would soon realise that there was no need to get in the back,
therefore, there was no need to break the mood and she was less likely to say no. The things that manufacturers did to sell cars.

JPB

#3559 Post by JPB » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:03 am

Hmm, my modern daily driver has a column shift and bench seats front and rear, but I'm not a teenager. :( I do believe that Toyota probably fitted these things for a reason, but that reason isn't practicality as its virtually impossible to move the front seat back & forth without a passenger being present to push their side. Sitting in the middle puts the occupant out of reach of the seat adjustment slide thing, making it a car best suited to menages à trois or couples. Like those lovely 1950s Morris Oxfords, the bB's front seat has two separate backrests but with three seat belts, so what the car's design team had been smoking the day they came up with that is anyone's guess.
Even less logically, given the design's clear anti single person approach, it is possible to make the bed as a single down the passenger side. Even BMC's BL reincarnation surely thought more logically than that.
What about the steering wheel in the Oxford though? Surely that would have acted as a most effective physical barrier to young lovers wishing to explore the next page of their much thumbed Karma Sutra?

The answer to my Maruti based question is that I don't know, :lol: but maybe it was an Alto? I had hoped that someone could provide the answer.
The Swift is a remarkably good car, said by many of its enthusiastic owners to be far superior dynamically to BMW's Mini. I couldn't say, but do know that my legs fit into a Swift whereas I've never been able to drive a Bini with the door shut, so in that sense, the 1950s Oxford is better than a BMW Mini, but perhaps not for Roy Rogers and his partner.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#3560 Post by GHT » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 am

JPB wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:03 am
Like those lovely 1950s Morris Oxfords, the bB's front seat has two separate backrests but with three seat belts, so what the car's design team had been smoking the day they came up with that is anyone's guess.
:lol:
JPB wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:03 am
Even less logically, given the design's clear anti single person approach, it is possible to make the bed as a single down the passenger side. Even BMC's BL reincarnation surely thought more logically than that.
What about the steering wheel in the Oxford though? Surely that would have acted as a most effective physical barrier to young lovers wishing to explore the next page of their much thumbed Karma Sutra?
Steering wheel? Who needs both sides of a bench seat. Think with a teenage mind, one that acts with such a blood rush that you would think that as the groin fills up the brain drains out. She sits across his lap, facing him, resting on her shins. For details go to page seventeen in that much thumbed Karma Sutra.