breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#3141 Post by JPB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm

That would be handy, but alas no, not when it means constantly variable transmission, a term relating to a vehicle hoarder's ability to set out looking for a vehicle to play with, and considering many alternatives before, usually some months later, settling for something completely randomly selected because the original "mission" statement had been lost in a sea of wasted journeys to view overpriced scrapyard fodder many, many miles from home.
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3142 Post by Dick » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Here john i hope this cheers you up :lol:
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Dodge-Com ... noapp=true

Dick

#3143 Post by Dick » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:36 pm

JPB

#3144 Post by JPB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 am

Ooh! I love these Commer PA shaped things, not just because "the lady in the van" bought one after her CA died, but because they have the engine in the right place but, unless someone shoved an O series in the engine hole, it's surely a 1725cc Rootes lump that lives in there, not a Leyland engine..
They came in automatic flavour too with, if memory serves, a BW45 4speed transmission as found in some Arrow series Hunters, Humber Sceptres, etc. Rare birds they are these days, and like the cars the majority of the automatics came with just the three gears (BW35, BW65 in very late ones maybe?). But even though they're not massively tall, these Rootes vans don't feel quite so stable if you're young & daft and manage to enter a corner too quickly. That's where the tall Toyota surprises me, by tolerating corners in the manner of a 2CV and exhibiting body roll that looks dramatic from the outside but not falling over even when catching a kerb mid-bend. Would I like a Commer PA though? Too right I would, they're a great looking alternative to the ubiquitous Type 2 and, IMHO, possibly as lovely to behold as a very early CA, with the split screen and the tail fins as seen on some of the camper conversions.

GHT, the Maestro may be tempting but fortunately, you probably aren't looking to buy one right now. The blue car was once owned by the friend to whom I sold my Corolla Liftback, itself now 30 years of age and still as free from rot as it was when I acquired it in 2015.
The Maestro was sold on when the friend in question experienced some, erm, teething troubles with it. Clutch cable adjustment my backside! These always seemed to have an (often unmanageably) high pedal but this one must be slipping by now and I'll eat my favourite half inch drive ratchet if there's any adjustment left in that cable!
I'm pretty sure that the owner in between my mate and the unemployed chap who now feels the need to get rid of the thing, parted with it after a very short relationship with the evil blue car.
I feel for the guy selling as he's clearly having a spot of bad luck but, employed or otherwise, the car would have been moved onto its next victim sooner or later in any case. I was just surprised that it managed to get all the way to Bristol, which is some 400ish miles from the Northumberland area, where it was first registered. It was at least rust free back then, Bristol must have made it corrode..
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#3145 Post by GHT » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:30 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 am
GHT, the Maestro may be tempting but fortunately, you probably aren't looking to buy one right now. The blue car was once owned by the friend to whom I sold my Corolla Liftback, itself now 30 years of age and still as free from rot as it was when I acquired it in 2015.
The Maestro was sold on when the friend in question experienced some, erm, teething troubles with it. Clutch cable adjustment my backside! These always seemed to have an (often unmanageably) high pedal but this one must be slipping by now and I'll eat my favourite half inch drive ratchet if there's any adjustment left in that cable!
I'm pretty sure that the owner in between my mate and the unemployed chap who now feels the need to get rid of the thing, parted with it after a very short relationship with the evil blue car.
I feel for the guy selling as he's clearly having a spot of bad luck but, employed or otherwise, the car would have been moved onto its next victim sooner or later in any case. I was just surprised that it managed to get all the way to Bristol, which is some 400ish miles from the Northumberland area, where it was first registered. It was at least rust free back then, Bristol must have made it corrode.
Think I might need to lie down in a dark room. You can't possibly be talking about B/L's finest in such a disparaging manner! You even preferred the Rootes engine to the Leyland one, in the Commer. My Brother-in-Law hates the Commer. He's actually my Sister-in-Law's husband by I euphemistically call him Brother-in-Law. The reason that he hates those Commers is because the one he had was the cause of his wife's confinement. What a shock they both got when the midwife said: "Push again Mrs Finlayson, there's another one." She had given birth to a very rare type of twins, known as mirror twins, they face one another in the womb, so you only hear one heartbeat, although it's actually two, beating in unison. My Sister-in-Law's reaction was to say to the mifwife: "But I only wanted one." My Brother-in-Law's reaction was to sell the Commer. Serves him right, rumpy pumpy in a camper van indeed!

JPB

#3146 Post by JPB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:45 pm

GHT wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:30 pm
rumpy pumpy in a camper van
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :scared: :lol:
J

Dick

#3147 Post by Dick » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:31 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:45 pm
GHT wrote:
Very true...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooklands-Cit ... noapp=true

GHT

#3148 Post by GHT » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:31 pm
JPB wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:45 pm
GHT wrote:
Very true...
I worry about you lot, what's so wrong about a nice hotel bedroom? Scared to leave the sheets stained?
nooky.jpg
nooky.jpg (111.02 KiB) Viewed 5046 times

JPB

#3149 Post by JPB » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:04 pm

Ah yes, torsion bars. Great for the old rocking, and outstandingly good at the off road mucking about. I often fancied a 4 wheel drive version of VW's squared off 1980s replacement for the old Type 2, they can be had with an automatic gearbox and should be very capable.
Hmm... :drool:
J

Dick

#3150 Post by Dick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Sounds like you have a new mission John ..
So here's something that you might like...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 928686388/

Ok its not for sale...