breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#2991 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Ooh! That's lovely, go on, GHT, you know you need it!
Just one thing though, it's been robbed of its original registration number. Shame that, but at least it keeps the price down. :(
Unless of course it's an African or Australian import, in which case it has a reason for carrying that new reg.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2992 Post by GHT » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:09 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:34 pm
Just one thing though, it's been robbed of its original registration number. Shame that, but at least it keeps the price down.
Ragtops are not for me, that's because my missus is asthmatic, open top, high pollen, heavy sneezing, must be the Corona plague. I'm impressed with your knowledge of registration numbering, the thought wouldn't even occur to me, I couldn't find it on the YT register. https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/ytparade.shtml

JPB

#2993 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:33 am

Hmm, either the car is listed under its original registration number or, if it's an import, the number it's wearing might not yet have been included on the database for the model. It appears not to have existed in the MOT database before the 27th of April, 2015, at which time the stated odometer reading was a mere 27 miles, that test has now expired and being pre-1960, it would have been MOT exempt in 2015, before the current rolling 41st year exemption was adopted, but at that time, being issued with a test certificate would have made UK registration a simpler process if it is indeed an import, so another possibility is that the "age-related" plate came about as a result of the car's having been stashed away in the proverbial barn before the DVLA database was committed to digital storage back in the late '70s-early '80s. Had the last scenario been the one that fits, then, if the plate hadn't been reissued, the original UK registration may even now be available on a non transferable basis.

I totally empathise with Mrs GHT's asthma. Until the last few summers, when pollen has been far more vicious than it used to be, I had had no asthma or hayfever symptoms since childhood yet now, I'm on my fourth Ventolin of the last two years and it's only Spring. Still, wheezing and using the inhaler in shops seems, for some reason :oops: , to assure me of my 78 inch physical distance as required by the 2020 Coronavirus act. Oh well, every cloud eh. Not that we've seen clouds recently, a good thing as my front lawn is now baked and as such, the lawnmower has been taken out of service for some much-needed welding to the deck, a magneto overhaul, a clutch change and an engine rebuild that ought to pacify those who object to a four stroke that makes so much blue smoke, the fussy buggers. If only head gaskets for cars were so easy to cut from a sheet of copper that's been in my hut for years, that saves a fiver for the mower, but would take more like fifty or more pounds worth of my time for even a basic four cylinder water cooled engine as fire rings and all raised edges of that sort would have to be drilled undersize and have their raised edges formed by stretching the holes by hand, and that's easier to say than it is to do in the kitchen, ah the joys of being locked down alone, the bed's bigger than it used to be too!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2994 Post by Dick » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 pm

300 pages of this collection of shiny tat...to celebrate heres another
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-1991-Toyo ... 1c2eda120d

Dick

#2995 Post by Dick » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:45 pm

JPB

#2996 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Hmm, Liteace based he reckons. Yet the engine appears to be in front of, rather than beneath the driver. Oh, and either the Japanese off licence - my idea of heaven on earth - had sent two of these with similarly random paintwork to auction and both were bought by UK importers, or the one I've seen in Joppa, just by the beach, is an hallucination.
Could there be a Japanese one and a "Joppanese" one in the UK? This I must know, sounds like a good excuse for a post-plague road trip. Especially as I've always fancied exploring Indian Queens, if only because of its double entendre value.. Or maybe not.
Hmm, perhaps an image search will shed some light on whether the eBay one is in fact the only UK example. Shame it has a manual gearbox as uniqueness is reason enough to buy a slightly worn - "Sherpanese" if you squint a bit - van that's 504 miles from me, might smell of booze and has a pedal where the rest for the left foot should be. :(
:)

Oh, and another UK one was imported by Car Warehouse, down in that Middlesbrough, but that was white and unliveried, so there may be as many as three! :shock:
J

Dick

#2997 Post by Dick » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:44 pm

I thought it looked a bit like one of those fabled fridolin vans... if you squint and look the other way... while we're at it what mower do you have? Is it one powered by Victorian child labour and built by Brunel involving lots and lots of cast iron?? Anyway back to shiny things that pleases me and will make ght blow a gasket...
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Maxi-2- ... noapp=true

JPB

#2998 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 pm

I think that the Deliboy has the look of a slightly distorted Sherpa about it, but that's just my wishful thinking. :oops:
Liking the Maxi a lot, that colour wasn't common when it was new, now it could well be the only automatic one in that colour? I think that the driver's side of the Hydrasag is a little too high but, for the solid body, that unusual colour and the fact that it's an automatic, I love it and shall be staying well away in case I break the lockdown rules. I'm pretty sure that "going south to rescue a Maxi" isn't one of the reasons we're allowed to leave our houses. :(
;)
J

Dick

#2999 Post by Dick » Fri May 01, 2020 9:15 am

Could you get the delisherpafridolin or the maxi delivered?
Meanwhile
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-C-Reg-Aus ... noapp=true

Dick

#3000 Post by Dick » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm