breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#2721 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 pm

:shock:
That Iso was standing in a lean to behind a big HMO on Harwoods Road, just off Rickmansworth Rd in Watford, between May and early July of 2000, at this time I was down that way for just over the month as the owner of all of the cars on the premises - many of them Reliant kittens and Rebels - had agreed the sale of the Harwoods Rd property, so muggins here travelled down in the old Volvo 144DL with the intention of making as many of the cars as possible fit to be moved.

The collection was extensive, including but not limited to the Reliants, a very original early MK1 Fiesta, a rare Fiat 600, an early Fiesta XR2 left behind in lieu of owed rent by one of the tenants of the HMO, several Italian rarities, a Marina-based Tandy camper van, a Volvo 244DL (brown, of course, 'cos it was a '70s one), a Datsun Prairie used by the owner of the collection to scavenge Rebel parts from far and wide, the Datsun wasn't taxed or tested, had next to no brakes and left clouds of blue everywhere it went! Also present in the collection were a 1940s Fiat Topolino, a GRP-bodied kit based around fifties Ford Pop chassis, engine and transverse trap spring suspension, a Lotus Sunbeam, several ancient motorcycles and a handful of other exotics, most of which were sticking out of the lean to, which had collapsed partially at one end, amazingly without having crushed any of the cars.

The owner of the collection, the late Captain William "Bill" Dick, a retired airline pilot, was possibly one of the last of the great eccentrics, he used to pull out a roll of fifties every time we went anywhere after parts for the cars. Come to think of it; he would take me to the local greasy spoon for my breakfasts during my time there since the HMO's electricity was off and I was sleeping in there in the absence of hotels that were affordable for that length of time and even in the caff, he'd pay the tenner or so for our meals with one of his fifties.
The Cap'n had brought a whole aircraft full of the remaining Reliant parts stock from the Jamaican Reliant dealer's premises into the UK with him on one of his flights and sadly, that stock was snapped up by someone in the Reliant Club who - if there's any justice in the world - will be stuck with it now as a result of his obscenely OTT asking prices for the stuff.
:moon:

Wharmby, if you're looking in, I never forget when someone takes me for a mug. Just saying..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

UKJeeper

#2722 Post by UKJeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 am

Is it me, or are the "what should I buy next" and "Breakdown Truck" threads basically the same thing? Just links to cars for sale and discussions about said cars?

JPB

#2723 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am

'Ey up, Rich, he's rumbled us! :shock: :scared:

;)

And here's a picture showing a genuinely broken down truck:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truck-Fabric ... Rh_lL-WMPQ

I know it might lack the random gift appeal of a "comedy" mug shaped like a pair of buttocks or breasts, but I'd hang that image on my bedroom ceiling if that space weren't already occupied by something 7 of 9 related.

Since starting the other thread, I found something that I did in fact buy. Strangely enough, the vehicle in question wasn't (yet) a Metrocab TTT or even a Banana-hauled specimen. Rich, did you find that truck yet?
:P
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#2724 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:18 pm

UKJeeper wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 am
Is it me, or are the "what should I buy next" and "Breakdown Truck" threads basically the same thing? Just links to cars for sale and discussions about said cars?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
john started his very specific thread & everyone had suggestions.. where as this one lost the plot a long ago & drifts into sci fi rusty cars & dancing badgers.... :oops:
& one for ght
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-Volkswa ... 3641.l6368

GHT

#2725 Post by GHT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

UKJeeper wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 am
Oh no, sometimes it's take the p*ss out of old farts like GHT. Other times it's a full blown oratory about the merits of BMC/BLMC/BL cars. Sometimes it's just take the p*ss in general. Occasionally it is very funny, especially when Rich starts foaming at the mouth over some Eurobox like an XR3. Wasn't that a space puppet in the 60's & 70's? Or was that Fireball XL5?

rich.

#2726 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 pm

would i take the p#ss out of the elderly gent who drives an mg? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just a bit
meanwhile an actual breakdown truck!!!! :o
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Land-Ro ... 3641.l6368

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-J7-c ... 100623.m-1

JPB

#2730 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:20 am

I want the Land Rover's seller to move in next to me! :thumbs:
J