breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: breakdown truck

#2481 Post by rich. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm

GHT wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:28 am
you who call me grumpy if I so much as dislike any car, you are calling one Henry's blue oval offering, ugly. You are a charlatan.
ght, i find you dislike every car.. except your own.. & thats only when your in a good mood & there is a month with a q in it
:lol: :lol: :lol: :scared:

JPB

#2482 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:44 pm

The only month with a Q in its name that I can think of is Quimtober, a little known month that's really only of any use for asparagus growers and people with very itchy skin.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2484 Post by GHT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:59 am

rich. wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm
ght, i find you dislike every car.. except your own.. & thats only when your in a good mood & there is a month with a q in it :lol: :lol: :lol: :scared:
When did I ever say that I liked my car? For what it's worth, when Austin & Morris joined forces it was the start of the rot. Quality marques within the group should have been wound up. That way their pedigree wouldn't have been sullied by having one of their badges on the grille of a gross looking, gross designed and grossly reliable, British Leyland, mish-mash of a car.

rich.

#2485 Post by rich. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 am

GHT wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:59 am

When did I ever say that I liked my car?
last Quimtober, as i recall.. i was busy trying to kill some asparagus... :lol: :lol:

JPB

#2486 Post by JPB » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm

That houseboat looks like a nice idea, but the one person I know who stays in just such a residence, just along the south coast past Brighton, has some awful rising damp and the boat stinks. The owner claims that she never notices the smells as she's so used to them, but then her personal hygiene skills always were a touch suspect so maybe the boat's not to blame after all?
So do houseboats generally stink, or should I drive my friend to a car wash and give her a programme 3 plus underbody wax?

I love the photos of the Maxis, Allegro, Metro and ADO16 type of thing. BL showrooms in the early '80s used to look just like that and that Transit caravette is rather lovely too, but what a shame it has a manual gearbox. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2487 Post by GHT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:44 pm

JPB wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm
I love the photos of the Maxis, Allegro, Metro and ADO16 type of thing. BL showrooms in the early '80s used to look just like that and that Transit caravette is rather lovely too, but what a shame it has a manual gearbox. :|
Have you ever wondered why those showrooms aren't around today?

JPB

#2489 Post by JPB » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 am

The VdP 1500 has had some bodywork, in spite of the experienced and well known vendor's suggestion that it might not have. It's almost certainly had a - probably fairly minor - knock from behind at some point in its career, and the front bottles are lacking in nitrogen which - short of drilling their bell ends and brazing in some Schrader valves to allow for topping up from an airline - would be nigh enough impossible to remedy. As it stands, the car's ride will grow harder and harder and then, some day when it's least expected, it'll drop onto its bump stops.
And how was it possible to do nearly 30,000 miles before it had left the IoM? :shock: OK, so in terms of its age, that is a very low and entirely believable mileage but given that the entire island is only about the same size as an average mainland city, the car must have been travelling endlessly around the TT course every day during its time there.
I'd still have it though, just look at that dashboard, the seats and the interior generally, that lot should bolt quite nicely into my modern Toyota with a very minor spot of grinding and sawing to make it fit. :twisted:

Wow! That ADO16-shaped thing is almost a real breakdown truck. :mrgreen:

J

GHT

#2490 Post by GHT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 am

John, if you are into sawing, welding, grinding, welding, repairing, welding, welding and welding. This should be right up your street.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/k_garrett/6161986208