breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: breakdown truck

#2701 Post by rich. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 am

i like the pickup :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
meanwhile ive contacted the seller & asked for the uk registration & he refuses to give it to me... :? wanted to check the mot history etc.. after asking on here how to do it ;)
https://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1397256694

JPB

#2702 Post by JPB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

Rich, the registration for the MX5 is W719TGH. The seller really ought to learn how not to leave clues all over the internet! ;)

Its test history only mentions the word "corrosion" in advisories so far, though its last test did mention that word in relation to some sill rust, maybe that's why he tried to disguise the car's identity? I'd be getting back in touch and congratulating him on his partially successful attempt to avoid the car's history being made public, maybe wish him better luck for next time?
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#2704 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am

It's all about having the ability to travel through time & space. I was granted this gift back in the late eighties when I provided a jump start from my A60's battery for an alien chap who had put his space ship down in the car park at well-known Southern classic vehicle show "Auto Sunday" which was happening by Bracknell, Berkshire. The friendly alien had come from a far distant galaxy as he'd heard that one of the autojumble stallholders was stocking new/old stock dilithium crystals that were compatible with the space ship. Sadly, the lengthy storage had meant that these crystals lacked the ability to start the ship's warp engines and as the A60 had such a whopping great massive battery on it, I figured that a jump start might just get the alien's vessel running which, fortunately, it did. Once he reached space, he was able to travel downhill for long enough to use regenerative braking to get the crystals working properly. We still exchange Christmas cards and I have an open invite to stay on his home world any time I'm free for a while.
You should see the place, they have a very active multi-make car club there and the beer is only 3p per pint.

....or maybe :oops: I found the Mazda's details by pure fluke, based on the premise that somewhere, there would be a link back to the source of the original image of the car and that this image would show the registration plate as it was before Mr P. Aranoid made his crude attempt to disguise [the plate].
I also found an image of the Mazda's owner posing naked with a pair of Rottweilers. Honestly, some people!

By the way, I had written the above before I clicked on the link to the Cortina-based camping device. Honestly, I had, but that does look a lot like the friendly alien's daily runabout.
:shock:

The Crayford Cortina looks good, IMHO, what a shame the folk who did the Mumford Marina :sick: hadn't been blessed with the same level of skill as the designer of that!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#2705 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 pm

before i read your reply mr P. Aranoid sent me a reply saying he finds it bizarre i would want the reg no,& he will not give it out as its "personal"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
when you see your alien friend again john, can you get me some of this time travelling equipment please??

JPB

#2706 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Hmm, next time I go out.. Out anywhere that motor vehicles can be seen, I must put a rapidly improvised mask, like the one worn by the Lone Ranger but cut from a cereal packet and coloured in with "My Little Pony"-themed safety felt tip pens, just to make sure that I don't accidentally see any registration plate that isn't on one of my own vehicles.
IMHO, Rich, your next move should perhaps be to look for a similar car that's being sold by someone less squirrel-like. However, you could write back to him and let him know that you already know the reg. I'm not meaning that you should hassle him, be smarter than that.

I'd word the message like so:

Hello,
Sorry that you took offence at my request for the car's identity to be confirmed in a way that doesn't compromise its or your right to privacy. Please allow me to explain. The reason that I'm interested to know relates to a similar car that I once owned, its registration was W719TGH. That car was badly damaged in a collision many years ago and because yours looks so much like my long since scrapped car, it would be great to grab back some of the teenager in myself by buying another MX5/Eunos/Miata. Though I do cringe slightly when I get the flashbacks to the crash. It seemed to take ages for the ambulance to arrive and oh, how much it hurt when those brave fire brigade people started removing the section of the car's hood frame that had pierced my spleen. I wouldn't want to buy another MX5 if it had the stench of stale spleen juice lodged for all eternity in its soft furnishings.
:scared:

Rich, I can recommend the regular time travel-related swap meets that happen in a public building not far from my home. They also do spaceship spares at the same venue and, in the village garage, anything smaller than Red Dwarf gets its MOT retest for free if the fail was a minor issue such as "Excess corrosion within 30cm of photon torpedo launch tube upper mounts" or "Some components underneath obscured by cloaking device.."
J

suffolkpete

#2707 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 am

I think they need to step up your medication John.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

GHT

#2708 Post by GHT » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 am
I think they need to step up your medication John.
He's fine, just has these funny turns now and then. Usually brought on by the love of B/L cars.
yep.jpg
yep.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

rich.

#2709 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm

found this john, trying to talk wifey into letting me have the cheque book...
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1397505729.htm
meanwhile im so tempted to copy & paste your response to mr P. Aranoid.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
when you have your next visit from red dwarf, could you get me pics of Kristine Z. Kochanski... :drool: :drool: :drool:

JPB

#2710 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm

GHT, I blame Fukushima. There's every chance that my daily transportation device is slightly radioactive as its previous keeper stayed in Ōkuma, which is in the prefecture of Fukushima. Not even BL's finest are likely to make the Geiger-Müller tube react, although I did once find a really nasty lump of rotted fruit behind the dash in a Dolomite that was in for service at my then workplace, and frankly, I'd have preferred the radiation.

Rich, the red one looks OK, did its vendor throw a hissy fit when asked for its registration details? :lol:

Kochanski's an amateur mate, and Red Dwarf is apparently not real, unlike well known American documentary "Star Trek" in its various flavours. I've been flicking through my Voyager USB dongle - containing all seven series of Janeway's stint at the steering wheel - and am now at S04.E01, which is the episode in which 7 of 9 first comes into the story. 7? Most human beings with a pulse would surely have given her at least an 8.

:oops: :scared:
J