breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: breakdown truck

#2851 Post by Dick » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 am

John the French are almost the same as us apart from that driving on the wrong side of the road nonsense and speaking funny.. main difference I found is instead of offering a cup of tea to the builder it's usually something alcoholic :lol:
Meanwhile this one seems to be haunted?
https://m.facebook.com/groups/418477118 ... 9519394391

GHT

#2852 Post by GHT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 pm

Dick wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 am
John the French are almost the same as us apart from that driving on the wrong side of the road nonsense and speaking funny.
It's the French that caused us to drive on the left. When William the Coconut invaded he ordered his knights to ride to the left side of the road, as most were right handed this left their sword arm free to defend themselves. Nowadays the extended right arm is very useful for making obscene gestures at other motorists.
Where I live, there was a time when we drove on the left side of the road, nowadays we drive on what's left of the road.

Dick

#2853 Post by Dick » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Dick

#2854 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Dick

#2855 Post by Dick » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:05 pm

I find these rather attractive.. especially since my youngest fell in love with one when the roof went down
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 711131881/

Dick

#2856 Post by Dick » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm

As im not sure Clio will pass the ct ive found this.. i quite like them even though its for wifey...
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... on=at_cars

Atodini

#2857 Post by Atodini » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 am

Hi "RichDick", welcome back.....

Speaking from personal experience Suzuki's are great little cars but for heaven's sake find out where it was built before parting with your cash...

Back in 2013 we bought a brand new Suzuki SX4 SZ4 to replace our similar earlier (2006) one, as it had done over 150,000 miles.... Totally reliable too.

The new one was the same shade of silver as the one you listed, the old one was bright yellow!!

It was great to drive, just as the old one had been, just with more toys (cruise, sat-nav, 4 instead of 2 electric windows and such), but was without doubt the most unreliable car we have ever owned and we once had an early Range Rover Vogue EFI!!!!!

In the first 20,000 miles it had to be recovered 5 times. Four times due to electrical wiring fires/problems and once after the power steering seized up completely.

It's first MOT at 19,000 miles it needed 4 new tyres plus a few minor components to get it through. This plus it's service led to a bill north of £2000. One of the conditions of the 5-year warranty was that only a franchised Suzuki dealer was allowed to do anything to it, and only genuine Suzuki consumables had to be used.

It's second MOT it failed on leaking shock absorbers at the rear, rusted front calipers also requiring new discs and pads plus a few other unexpected faults. They actually took me into the workshop to show me all this. I was horrified to see how rusty it was getting underneath, corrosion bleeding out of every seam - the old one had displayed nothing like this despite the huge mileage. Another service/MOT with a bill much higher than the previous year - the genuine Suzuki shock absorbers alone cost over £1000. By this time it had racked up 29.000 miles.

Got home, called a car buying agency and got rid. Lost more than I expected, mainly due to it being a diesel (as recommended by the government when we bought it). It was at this point I found out it had been build in Hungary. They also kindly explained to me the reasons for all the wiring problems - since the EU dictated that all cars must be 100% recyclable, wiring insulation can no longer be made of PVC. The stuff they now use is like a Michelin star to creatures that nibble - Rats, Mice and Squirrels.

Replaced it with a (petrol) Berlingo - more practical for us anyway as we have 3 dogs and I have a couple of old motorcycles, any of which it swallowed without complaint.

Japanese-built cars still use traditional PVC for their wiring.....

Last year I travelled back down to Leighton Buzzard for a funeral (an old neighbour) and another old neighbour had a Swift (that she really liked) but it too had suffered with nibbling critters who. whilst she was away visiting her daughter in Oz, ate most of the dash and interior plastics whist it was parked up in her garage!! Hers was out of warranty and her (non-franchised) garage found the necessary parts second-hand and repaired it.

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

GHT

#2858 Post by GHT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Atodini wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 am

Back in 2013 we bought a brand new Suzuki SX4 SZ4 to replace our similar earlier (2006) one, as it had done over 150,000 miles.... Totally reliable too.

The new one was the same shade of silver as the one you listed, the old one was bright yellow!!

It was great to drive, just as the old one had been, just with more toys (cruise, sat-nav, 4 instead of 2 electric windows and such), but was without doubt the most unreliable car we have ever owned and we once had an early Range Rover Vogue EFI!!!!!

In the first 20,000 miles it had to be recovered 5 times. Four times due to electrical wiring fires/problems and once after the power steering seized up completely.

It's first MOT at 19,000 miles it needed 4 new tyres plus a few minor components to get it through. This plus it's service led to a bill north of £2000. One of the conditions of the 5-year warranty was that only a franchised Suzuki dealer was allowed to do anything to it, and only genuine Suzuki consumables had to be used.

It's second MOT it failed on leaking shock absorbers at the rear, rusted front calipers also requiring new discs and pads plus a few other unexpected faults. They actually took me into the workshop to show me all this. I was horrified to see how rusty it was getting underneath, corrosion bleeding out of every seam - the old one had displayed nothing like this despite the huge mileage. Another service/MOT with a bill much higher than the previous year - the genuine Suzuki shock absorbers alone cost over £1000. By this time it had racked up 29.000 miles.

Got home, called a car buying agency and got rid. Lost more than I expected,
John
What you have described there, is much the same as I experienced back in the 70's with good old British Leyland. It was a time when buying British was an national obsession, never mind the quality, it's British. It's your duty to protect jobs. In 1972 I bought my wife a brand new Mini, that went in and out of the workshops more times than a whore's draws went up and down. The only way to get a price for it was to sell it to a B/L dealer, so in 1976, it was traded in for the appallingly bad, (we weren't to know,) Allegro. That thing was rusting before the first year warranty ran out, it was so bad that we would never know if we could reach our destination, and as we were living in London, we actually would look at alternative public transport and only use the car as a last resort.

It had to go, back to the dealer, would we ever learn? Nope, buy British, it's your duty. The Maxi was an unmitigated disaster! Words just couldn't begin to describe, even a description as eloquent as your's in which you describe the Suzuki, the reminisce has given me a headache. In the end, we took the hit and bought foreign. I won't give you a catalogue of the cars from then and now but if B/L had built cars like my wife's VW Golf that she has had from new, 23 years and still as good as ever, then they might still be around.

Dick

#2859 Post by Dick » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps.. im waiting for the 27th to make a decision.. on another note a friend who has a 10 year old golf diesel withe less than 10.000 km will be selling soon and ive put my name down for a chance.. hes waiting for the brexit nonsense to finish before buying.. i could be retired before that😫😫😫

Dick

#2860 Post by Dick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 pm