breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#3081 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:11 am

Meh. Firstly, please stop posting details of weird stuff that fits in the back of a HiAce and is under 120 miles from me! :lol:

Secondly, yes I would in the case of the tripod thing and the broken Barkas - if its price reflected the cost of going to Germany to make the warranty claim, but the Pontiac would only, IMHO naturally, be worth considering if it were the genuine, autonomous one that's indestructible and can jump over things. :?

And finally, while the vendor of the tricycle is a good sort and as honest as the day's long, may I suggest an even crazier alternative to the British vehicle?..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROCAR-197 ... 0010.m2109
:drool:

Four wheels, oh the luxury of it all!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3082 Post by Dick » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Ok here's something that you might have trouble fitting in the camper is it further away though..
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Nissan-Bl ... noapp=true

Dick

#3083 Post by Dick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 am

Dick

#3084 Post by Dick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 am

JPB

#3085 Post by JPB » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:21 am

:mrgreen: That Bluey is already on my eBay spotcher, it's had some rot advised in its time, but seems to be 99% less rusted to f*** than most of those. It's somewhat too close to the ground for my needs but one of these cars that definitely deserves to be rescued. I did think that I could cut the roof off and add a foot to all of the pillars, but as ATS has now agreed to the Toyota dealer's quote for putting right the damage that those clowns did when they fitted the tyres, and my solicitor's figures for the difference in fuel costs for the same period since I had to start using the van as a daily hack, my perfect, "made to fit" car should be usable again as soon as Toyota has sent a recovery vehicle to get it to the workshop and replaced the front hubs, both front brake calipers, all four wheels because the option fitted to it from new are NLA and I've insisted that odd ones at one end of the car won't do, by damaging the ones it rolled into the depot on, they effectively broke up the matched set. Then there's main dealer labour (not the mahoosive trade discount that I would have had for the use of the facilities), rechecking the front suspension and steering geometry, repairing the gouge to the underside of its offside sill - which I hadn't even noticed 'til ATS' independent assessor pointed out that the surface was torn and the bare mat showing through, so that will take around a day's labour to cut it out, bond in a repair, surface prep, paint, refit the sill to the car, etc..

Of the four Wartburgs currently gracing the pages of eBay, I too would single out that one. It must be one of the very last two stroke models and the others are all fitted with transversely mounted VW Polo engines. I actually fit nicely into a Wartburg as there's no step to get one's leg over when getting in, that being the other thing that links Wartburg to Saab, and a two stroke, because it comes with a freewheel device, would be almost usable on longer runs but if I were interested in buying another Eastern European car right now, it would want to be a 4wd Dacia pickup, the one that has a separate chassis but uses the front half of a Renault 12 as the cab. I know of one whose owner has fitted an automatic transmission which, apparently, works just fine with the original Renault transaxle, or maybe a Trabant Kombi, they - IMHO - are such cool wee things and being made out of a very similar substance to Bakelite, that also appeals. After all, why have flexible, easily fixed GRP when Duroplast is such potentially shattery stuff that could take ages to mend if it picked up any significant cracks, owners please jump in and tell me why I'm wrong about that...

Got to love a CF, but an ice cream van, although it does have a wash hand basin and a bloody large freezer, still has neither curtains nor a bed, so I'd be out!
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3086 Post by Dick » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Last edited by Dick on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick

#3087 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:34 am

Dick

#3088 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Dick

#3089 Post by Dick » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 pm

GHT

#3090 Post by GHT » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 pm
Ght wanted a caravan?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 097788022/
First time I've seen a articulated car & caravan, although I do see many American style pick up trucks that tow an articulated caravan, especially at shows like The Goodwood Revival, where money isn't a problem for most. Last time we were there, price at the bar for a sparkling mineral water with ice and a dash of lime, plus a very small Peroni beer, £18;30.
Not very practical for me, what I need to do is sell my Mercedes Sprinter, buy a single car carrier and a drawbar caravan. But I wouldn't say no to glamping in this.
VW artic.jpg
VW artic.jpg (230.93 KiB) Viewed 2475 times