breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#2981 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 pm

That's pretty common with imports, my Disco was showing as a Defender on the test history but, when checked for VED, showed correctly.
The only difference is that this Discovery looks very much like a Mercedes Benz in apparently very nice order, with a great colour and, if it came from Japan, should have excellent history and working aircon, part of the Japanese "Shaken" roadworthiness test required before a deregestration certificate can be issued for export from the land of the rising sun.

I shall check its VED status and see whether the error only applies on the test certificate.. Uh-oh, it's a Discovery on there too, so both VOSA and DVLA have it down as something it clearly isn't.

I would give the vendor a call and ask, but my feeling here is that the car has recently had its plate transferred off onto a Land Rover and details of the Benz test history aren't yet displayed with its replacement registration number. Transfers are happening very slowly just now, as are other Government related paperwork changes, including the transfer of my details to the deed of a place I've owned since late 2018 :( , and nobody can blame Covid-19 for that.

It does look like a straight enough car, definitely worth investigating further, IMHO.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2982 Post by Dick » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 am

Still waiting for a response ..
Meanwhile..
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 241954040/

Dick

#2983 Post by Dick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Reg no is W701WGF

JPB

#2984 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:19 pm

I checked the prices of the brake parts needed - from a couple of reputable factors - and found that front pads are only £30 for Bosch branded ones in a Bosch labelled box, or £53 for the same in a MB branded box :roll: . Rear pads are a mere £12 per set and cheaper ones are available, even the correct front discs are available from £36 per pair and that's Benz stuff for Dacia Sandero / Renault Clio money. So why then did they not simply swap out the pads and discs back when they were first picked up as an advisory? Failing that, why risk submitting the car the next year as well with the brake issues still not addressed?
Could it be that the poor thing has been owned by someone who doesn't like parting with their cash and if so, what else has been ignored in the hope that the fault would heal itself?
As with any high mileage car, check everything and when you think you've done that, go round it again after a test drive. Being a Benz, it should be mechanically pretty robust but there again, why would the owner of such a "premium" car not have a coolant leak seen to when it first appeared? Did they rely on their MOT tester to tell them what was wrong with the thing rather than service it in line with common sense or even with the MB service schedule?

Definitely one to consider, just take the time to examine it in fine detail before you fall in love with the thing and end up not haggling hard enough for it! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2985 Post by Dick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks for your honesty mate.. ill give it a miss. I will save my pennies for later on after the quarantine and probably buy something completely different.. seems a shame that small jobs were ignored on a relatively expensive car...

JPB

#2986 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Dick wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 pm
seems a shame that small jobs were ignored on a relatively expensive car...
Yep. And famous Welsh singer, Tom Jones sang a song about this very thing: https://youtu.be/JMGLoRJaPy0 :mrgreen:
J

GHT

#2987 Post by GHT » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 pm

JPB wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:19 pm
Failing that, why risk submitting the car the next year as well with the brake issues still not addressed?
Could it be that the poor thing has been owned by someone who doesn't like parting with their cash and if so, what else has been ignored in the hope that the fault would heal itself?
As with any high mileage car, check everything and when you think you've done that, go round it again after a test drive. Being a Benz, it should be mechanically pretty robust but there again, why would the owner of such a "premium" car not have a coolant leak seen to when it first appeared? Did they rely on their MOT tester to tell them what was wrong with the thing rather than service it in line with common sense or even with the MB service schedule?
You say, rather sarcastically, justifiably I would add, did they rely on the MOT tester? You know the answer to that before you ask the question. How many times have you seen a car, at night, with one headlight blown? Get close, it's not a motorbike, it's some rather expensive Merc or other equally expensive marque, the owner of which can't be arsed to replace a bulb, or if he didn't want to get his hands dirty, ask the garage to do it.

Dick

#2988 Post by Dick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm

I was in my local garage and a chap pulled up in a newish German car with a headlight bulb out.. mechanic changed it for the new one supplied by the driver.. then off he went without paying.. mechanic wasn't pleased but in that situation mechanics are obliged to fit bulbs for free.. whenever I get him to do a little job i drop him in a bottle of vino collapso...
Meanwhile...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 644997970/

Dick

#2989 Post by Dick » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Dick

#2990 Post by Dick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 am