breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#3281 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Presumably, it was Piers Morgan who wrote:Dailleurs, depuis, ma femme ne s'appelle plus Maurice.

Is it an actual Judas chair though, or literally just a pair of garden shears which someone has attached to a redundant commode?
Hmm, imagine the same idea, but built using an upside down electric rotary mower bolted under the hole in the seat.
That could be the basis of a new, slightly less fatal version of Russian Roulette.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#3282 Post by GHT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Looks like an early attempt at a vasectomy clinic.

Dick

#3283 Post by Dick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Either way i can think of several candidates for a test drive of the chair..
Anyway i hope that this link works...
https://www.facebook.com/37245453624902 ... sn=scwspmo

JPB

#3284 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:52 pm
Anyway i hope that this link works..
:(

It works if you're on the facebook's payroll and are recruiting fresh victims, otherwise, not so much:

:|
Rather than ring the bell and run away, I'm including a link to eBay that should work and features, you guessed it, a breakdown truck:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1939-Morris- ... SwW~hfm9Rj

Apologies for the on topic :shock: nature of the link! :lol: There are more breakdown trucks on the 'bay at this time than ever before, including the one above which, I'm 94.5% certain, is fresh to the market.

Oh go on then, here's another:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-N-serie ... SwfZVfNR7r

Beds and stuff are found in that one, imagine turning up on a Caravan Club site with that, those owners of Toyotas, Nissans or whatever's "in" at the moment, would be green with envy. Possibly.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3285 Post by Dick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Ohh you're so close.. its a photo of a beautiful Morris commercial breakdown truck..for your fine efforts, please take two house points and give the pencils out in the morning John ..
:thumbs:

GHT

#3286 Post by GHT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm
Ohh you're so close.. its a photo of a beautiful Morris commercial breakdown truck..for your fine efforts, please take two house points and give the pencils out in the morning John ..
:thumbs:
You might think it's beautiful, but did you know that those Morris Commercials were still in production in the 1970's? Non cancelling indicators, non cancelling wipers and just one speed, four speed crash gearbox, an engine jammed up against the driver's leg, inside the cab. Is it any wonder that foreigners stole our market?

JPB

#3287 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:25 am

Dick wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm
:lol:
GHT wrote: You might think it's beautiful, but did you know that those Morris Commercials were still in production in the 1970's? Non cancelling indicators, non cancelling wipers and just one speed, four speed crash gearbox, an engine jammed up against the driver's leg, inside the cab. Is it any wonder that foreigners stole our market?
Hmm, maybe sane, sensible people think that way, having left their rose tinted glasses at the Specsavers for repair. Those of us who like an older vehicle much of the time would surely describe these design "shortcomings" as "character," which is old car enthusiast speak for "a bit rubbish but a lot interesting and perfect as an ornament," ;) though I do believe that the Ford with the living accommodation could be used regularly as it's quite likely to be capable of a solid 12mpg if you're lucky with the weather.
On the older, British truck though, absence of synchromesh and single speed wipers aren't faults, providing practice at double declutching and an excuse not to go out in heavy rain, and a warm left leg would make drivers of Reliant three wheeled machinery feel right at home in there.
:)
J

GHT

#3288 Post by GHT » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am

Character eh? I guess that's one way of putting it. Truth was though, safety and driver comfort meant higher cost, so the British driver had to put up with these things.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1279743

Dick

#3289 Post by Dick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:56 pm

GHT wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am
Character eh? I guess that's one way of putting it. Truth was though, safety and driver comfort meant higher cost, so the British driver had to put up with these things.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1279743
Ght, always such a ray of sunshine... i get your point .. there are some really weird people out there who love all things land rover.. having spent a lot of time in old and more modern versions i can safely say that they're all garbage and a good landrover is about half as good as a broken hilux ;)
:scared:

JPB

#3290 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Rich / Dick wrote:good landrover is about half as good as a broken hilux ;)
:scared:
:lol: Sadly, that's most likely true, especially if the number of callers about my spare HiAce 4x4 - being flogged on as I just wanted the roof, the shower cubicle and the towbar (for Yoda) - is any guide.
I wouldn't object but for the fact that most callers want only the chassis, then start moaning on when they're told that they, not I, have to remove the spare van's shell and dispose of any parts they don't want. The twunts! :evil:
J