breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: breakdown truck

#3191 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 am

GHT

#3192 Post by GHT » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 am

Not sure about an emergency poet, but I can tell you that the crews loved the last of the LDV ambulances. Reason being, they were fitted with the Rover V8 engine. My missus, a retired paramedic told me how they always beat the fire crews to a scene, and given a fair wind, they could give the police a good run for their money too.

Dick

#3193 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Ght tell us more!
Meanwhile ght you know you want this
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Honda-Civ ... noapp=true

Dick

#3194 Post by Dick » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 am

JPB

#3195 Post by JPB » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:09 am

the vendor of the Hustler equipped with that wonderful, period trip 'computer', wrote:One owner builder from new..
Now that's a phrase rarely seen outside of a classic boat magazine! That's been on sale since 2015 and I genuinely don't understand why nobody seems to want the remains of a mini van which has been so skilfully blended with a piece of office furniture and half of a greenhouse. If I were chasing the Hustler ownership experience, I'd want the six wheeled version because, er, it's got six wheels and is incredibly rare.
That's a great thing though, and almost certainly less fragile in use than the Aston Martin which shares that computer - but with the flaky digital instruments - while bearing more than a passing resemblance to the larger, non mini-based car.
Funny thing, eBay, isn't it. Just when you think its pages cannot come up with two genuinely wonderful, rare contraptions at the same time, the "other classic cars" section throws this up: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1954-Swallow ... SwaM9fPNcw

Oof! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3196 Post by Dick » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:51 am

JPB

#3198 Post by JPB » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Taxi? Ah yes, I seem to recall asking for a Metrocab or similar.. Then buying a Mitsubishi Pajero because it was a one owner, 30 something thousand KM unmarked original car, and it fitted perfectly when I put it on, as one would put on a wetsuit or similar.
Now that I'm down to one car that gets waved at (by a chap in a white example of the same model from the bB range), the van, currently subject to a SORN in the hope that I'll get round to the very few bits of work needed, and have still decided that I need a tractor, maybe a moped or maybe even a taxi, but that yellow one is a little too weird, even for me and deserves better than I could provide for it in the rôle of third, "WTF have I done now?" sort of vehicle.

That steam motorcycle is absolutely amazing! It's ideal for my needs as I like nothing more than sitting astride a potential cause of death and/or severe damage to myself if its boiler were less than perfect. But because the thing's so totally bonkers, I find myself liking it and having massive admiration & respect for its creator.
Nice thing, very eco friendly too, as I'm thinking that it could burn old tyres instead of wood or animal pooh, thereby reducing the dangers involved in disposing of carcasses too far gone to be of use to the remould makers. Good plan? Can't see a downside myself.. :?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3199 Post by Dick » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:02 pm

John, soon as I saw those vehicle's i thought of you.. im with you on burning tyre instead of wood, its so much more eco friendly. Im sure greta would be proud ;)
Meanwhile if you're in the market for a motor cycle, this is one ive never heard of...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6538843 ... M6KrfVTEJa

JPB

#3200 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:33 pm

My mother owned a newer version of the Quickly moped, so I've heard of them, broken a working one, fixed it before the parents got back from their hideaway up North (at a time when my contemporaries were having wild parties when their folks were away and rushing at the last minute to get their homes cleaned up :oops: ) and cleaned it before putting it back in its shed. I would have got clean away but wasn't best known for my fondness for the cleaning of things or indeed for my memory when it came to removing the speedometer cable before "borrowing" the bike, so a spotless moped, usually covered in sawdust and swarf, with sixty miles more on its odometer than it had when they'd headed off, plus a full fuel tank when they'd left it empty, were evidence enough to convict me in the court of Mam & Dad. :|
It later transpired that they'd added me to the bike insurance as soon as I'd passed my test on my sixteenth birthday, so technically, I could have got away with this almost a year earlier. Oh well..
:x

Is it me, or was the use of "Quickly" for the name of a machine - that could do 40ish MPH at best, downhill, wind behind and engine screaming its tiny nuts off - a tad optimistic? :lol:
J