breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Luxobarge

Re: breakdown truck

#3671 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:09 pm

GHT wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:38 pm

Here's another, very good reason, to give a V8 a miss. (Clapped out or not.)
Indeed. Having said that, mine will do 30-32 mpg on a run, and for a car that only gets occasional use we don't find fuel consumption a huge issue. You wouldn't want to run one as a daily or commuter car though and traffic jams are a killer of course...
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#3672 Post by Dick » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:13 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:09 pm
GHT wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:38 pm

Here's another, very good reason, to give a V8 a miss. (Clapped out or not.)
Indeed. Having said that, mine will do 30-32 mpg on a run, and for a car that only gets occasional use we don't find fuel consumption a huge issue. You wouldn't want to run one as a daily or commuter car though and traffic jams are a killer of course...
I find traffic jams à lot more pleasant with à Nice auto box :oops:

Dick

#3673 Post by Dick » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Luxobarge, this needs restoration.. whats your opinion..
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2126219202.htm

Luxobarge

#3674 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:16 pm
It really depends on what you want to do, it's a personal decision. If it were me, I wouldn't touch a restoration project, parts alone will cost a fortune and they're complex cars. I can't see how you'd ever do a restoration like that and end up with a car that was worth more than it cost. In fact, quite the reverse, for the total cost of doing that I'm quite sure you could buy a very smart good condition car, so it makes no sense economically. However if you just enjoy restoring cars for the sake of it, irrespective of the economics, then go for it. It depends on whether you want to restore a car or simply own one, if you know what I mean. To illustrate what I mean, have a look at what needs doing and price up the parts - many will only be available from Jaguar, and good luck with that, unless there are some good Jaguar breakers in France?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#3675 Post by Dick » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:03 am

Luxobarge wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Dick wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:16 pm
It really depends on what you want to do, it's a personal decision. If it were me, I wouldn't touch a restoration project, parts alone will cost a fortune and they're complex cars. I can't see how you'd ever do a restoration like that and end up with a car that was worth more than it cost. In fact, quite the reverse, for the total cost of doing that I'm quite sure you could buy a very smart good condition car, so it makes no sense economically. However if you just enjoy restoring cars for the sake of it, irrespective of the economics, then go for it. It depends on whether you want to restore a car or simply own one, if you know what I mean. To illustrate what I mean, have a look at what needs doing and price up the parts - many will only be available from Jaguar, and good luck with that, unless there are some good Jaguar breakers in France?
Thanks for your advice, Ive just had à look at parts prices. Ouch.. but it is à luxury car so I shouldnt be surprised.. for now I will put that idea on standby, save my pennies and try and find one in better condition..
Those I showed you earlier have been on sale for à while now so I think they're probably not worth the effort.. though the réd one is the right colour for me :oops:

JPB

#3677 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:24 am

Ooh! A Dickshovery the same colour as mine, in RHD with a mere 270000KM on the odometer, and it appears to be available for €1. Oh wait, it's a D2 but maybe worth offering them 42 Cents and using the change to buy a fresh box of rods to attach the new rear quarter chassis that these newfangled Discos invariably need..https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... =top_picks

Bloody hell! I not only opened a FB page, but it let me copy and paste the link. :shock: Nae idea what the red thing is though, an appliance accessory of some sort by the looks? ;)
Peugeot 504 Coupe. Mmm, buy that, it'll give you far less stress than a BL product, or whatever the British motor industry calls itself these days.
Scratch that, buy the XJS.. and the Peugeot and a modern Jag for the daily drive perhaps. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3678 Post by Dick » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:21 pm

JPB wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:24 am
Ooh! A Dickshovery the same colour as mine, in RHD with a mere 270000KM on the odometer, and it appears to be available for €1. Oh wait, it's a D2 but maybe worth offering them 42 Cents and using the change to buy a fresh box of rods to attach the new rear quarter chassis that these newfangled Discos invariably need..https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... =top_picks

Bloody hell! I not only opened a FB page, but it let me copy and paste the link. :shock: Nae idea what the red thing is though, an appliance accessory of some sort by the looks? ;)
Peugeot 504 Coupe. Mmm, buy that, it'll give you far less stress than a BL product, or whatever the British motor industry calls itself these days.
Scratch that, buy the XJS.. and the Peugeot and a modern Jag for the daily drive perhaps. :D
That dickshovery isn't that far from me... I think the réd thing is à really old petrol pump.. that 504 coupe is à diesel.. great looks and cheap to run :drool:
Though that xjs is so tempting.. genuine french from first registration 45000 km from new Though this had à shunt and has been in à barn since 2000... Its only 2 hours drive from me too... saying that I know for another low milage américain 4 litre xjs convertible parked in à barn since the driver put it in à ditch ..only 5 minutes from here.. I might try and buy that again :scared:

Dick

#3679 Post by Dick » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:23 pm

And you managed not to break Facebook either ! Well done john :thumbs:

Dick

#3680 Post by Dick » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:25 pm