breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#3131 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 am

Dick wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Ght 🤣🤣🤣
Agreed.
Strangely enough, my late father, 86 when he passed, used to think in Kilos. His reasoning involved the fact that the metric system was a British invention, where as the Avoirdupois system is French.. OK so it might ;) not be but he was right about metric being a British thing before other places adopted it.
Proof, were it necessary, that cussed awkwardness is hereditary.

Rich, I enjoy a good CVT, they're incredibly efficient if driven correctly and, for those of us who prefer a conventional gearbox with a torque converter because it has clearly defined ratios and doesn't - unless its clutch papers are toast or its converter slips - feel like driving a car with only porridge forming the mechanical link between engine and wheels, then modern CVTs from Aisin and Jatco, plus the Daddy of them all, the Van Doorne system found under Dafs and Dafs with Volvo badges, are in fact really good to use if used correctly by someone who knows how.
That setup used in Fiats with the "Selecta" badge and also in Ford Fiestas of the Mk2 variety, however, can be a bit less dependable than other CVTs thanks to its use of ferrofluid clutches, rather than conventional centrifugal or similar, almost sane devices.

The Fiat / Ford transmission does feel good when it's behaving itself, but oh man, when it's bad it's effing terrible!

That looks like a potentially good Uno though, it's possible that its clutches aren't buggered yet at that low mileage, but the trouble with a Uno is that they go and handle so well that driving everywhere flat out is too much fun to resist. I bought a two year old, 1100cc manual one from a scrapyard back in 1989, fixed its horrendous looking but not distorted collision damage using parts the same shade of blue from the same yard and that was then sold on, with a full photographic record of the work done, no issues with selling it either, as its owner hadn't been insured so no claim had been made. That thing was incredibly good to drive, just wring its neck in every gear and keep up with lots of more performance oriented cars. :drool:

But try that approach with that CVT and the poor car will complain. Such a good, low mileage survivor now though, should definitely be treated with respect, not that it won't still get along pretty swiftly, but save some cash for any transmission parts that may be needed..
🙂
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3132 Post by Dick » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Sis in law had a manual fiat uno.. it went on for years... think she got a punto after..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1345341 ... 1389232007

JPB

#3133 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:52 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Tonight, I shall mostly be dreaming about that truck.. With a period caravan-style rear body replacing the bed as it is there, from flat bed to big, comfy beds, if only that could be driven everywhere at 60mph and supplied with a chauffeur, but maybe not one called Craig, or anyone who keeps lists. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3134 Post by Dick » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:20 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:52 pm
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Tonight, I shall mostly be dreaming about that truck.. With a period caravan-style rear body replacing the bed as it is there, from flat bed to big, comfy beds, if only that could be driven everywhere at 60mph and supplied with a chauffeur, but maybe not one called Craig, or anyone who keeps lists. :oops:
Tonight I hope to be sleeping better than last night...
That truck is not far from my parents place...
If it helps i have a cousin in Bristol called Craig, but i wouldn't recommend him as he takes uselessness to a new level...

GHT

#3135 Post by GHT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:14 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 am
Strangely enough, my late father, 86 when he passed, used to think in Kilos. His reasoning involved the fact that the metric system was a British invention, where as the Avoirdupois system is French.. OK so it might ;) not be but he was right about metric being a British thing before other places adopted it. Proof, were it necessary, that cussed awkwardness is hereditary.
Your late Father was absolutely right. In the 12th century, King Henry I of England fixed the yard as the distance from his nose to the thumb of his out-stretched arm. I mean, you couldn't get more metric than that, could you? And Henry the First's descendant King Henry the Eighth, was probably the first Eurosceptic, so know you know who we can blame for Brexit. Actually there are so many parallels between The Reformation and Brexit it's really uncanny.

But we do have the mile, taken from mille, which is Latin for a thousand. The Roman pace was two steps, at every thousand paces on their road construction they placed a marker stone, a mille stone. The thousand being a multiple of ten really does make it metric. All this b*ll*x about Napoleon being obsessed with the number ten.

GHT

#3137 Post by GHT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm

John, you like weird sort of mix & match. Here's a Moggie Pick Up that's had a bit of an engine tune.
Minor_Pickup-0.jpg
Minor_Pickup-0.jpg (84.69 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Minor_Pickup-.jpg
Minor_Pickup-.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Minor_Pickup.jpg
Minor_Pickup.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
I wonder what Mr Chapman would make of it?
For further details, if you are interested: https://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/the-l ... ickup.html

GHT

#3138 Post by GHT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm

And as you were regaling us about Vintage Voltage, check this one out: https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/elec ... or-review/

JPB

#3139 Post by JPB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:00 am

Mostly, I'm loving the electric Minor. There's very little to dislike about that, however life would be dull if I weren't to try so here goes: Please may we see the following substitutions being reversed:
Later lamps from a Minor 1000, modern pearlescent paint and as for the idea of subjecting a gearbox to all of that torque when it was perfectly capable of failing in original circumstances? No,
just no! Let it be made instead with Beige, black, blue or maroon paint, separate, subtle indicators added instead of the "elephant's feet" and at the very least uprated half shafts and a simple CVT - a system perfectly suited with electric motors in vehicles and indeed the standard in electric production cars.. Then it would be perfect. 👍😎

Liking the one with the Lotus/Ford engine too, but it seems less relevant other than as a curiosity these days, so old Diesels and electric motors, neither requiring mineral fuels, at least not in the cars themselves, must be more suitable things, though where does all of this extra electricity come from?
Maybe California is big enough to accommodate all of that massive solar power stations, maybe they are blessed with sufficient strong sunlight to render the source as viable as wind could be some day here in the UK, but most of the planet is too far behind to make sense of the planned - and admittedly necessary - shift away from petrol engines and modern Diesels which are unable to run on veggie oils, requiring as they do highly refined mineral equivalents. Why are there only a couple of Hydrogen fuelled cars available in the UK now? Why only a handful of refuelling facilities? I reckon that's how it ought to be done, on board fuel supplies for electric motors and there's the range anxiety thing dealt with.
J

GHT

#3140 Post by GHT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 am

Does CVT mean Corona Virus Tested?