breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#1931 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:39 pm

That Volvo is amazing, but I'm almost sure that the propshaft and clutch slave cylinder should be attached to something?
Still, how hard can it be to get a gearbox for that? I recall being able to buy upgraded (steel instead of Paxolin for the camshaft gear) timing gears and a new radiator from a Volvo dealer for my 142S and they still carry loads of stuff for older models generally, or they did as recently as twelve years ago. Dammit, doesn't time fly!

Shiny caravans are cool, IMHO, but I'd wait for something with the door in the correct place to come along, or better yet, a 'van with two doors that could be used in both RHD and LHD countries. Or a Sprite Cadet, Portafold or Anusfold, all of which came with a door at the back, now that makes far more sense.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#1932 Post by rich. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:45 am

JPB

#1933 Post by JPB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:31 pm

No joke, the Anusfold is very similar to the Portafold and because of the way they fold, the doors on both are at the rear, here's a piccie:

Some prefer the Portafold, because it has fins so looks great behind a '60s car or bike/sidecar combo, Dr Who liked these so much that he took time out from fighting bad scenery and faulty sonic screwdrivers to promote the product:

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#1934 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:03 pm

One for John - pity it's a manual - but look at the guide price :o

http://angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/class ... tsun-120y/

One for Rich - must be worth it with such a low mileage

http://angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/class ... cra-10-ls/
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#1936 Post by JPB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 pm

:drool: @ all of the above, from both of Chris' posts!

Rich, I think that the Jowett-driving master of the molten body solder has actually won this thread because a low mileage Sunny and an AEC Militant on the same page has never, ever happened before anywhere in cyberspace! Probably. And look at that K10. You could, potentially, almost smell Anna Friel's perfume on the seats if you get in there and have a good sniff. Well it's not actor woman, Janet Dibley's Collette version of the car, hers was black over silver.
:ugeek:
Then we have the 1957 Tourette Supreme. I have invented a little historic research on this curiosity and may yet post in Wikipedia that the vehicle was named as it is because it came from the showroom with neither brakes nor horn fitted as standard. This meant that, when the absence of brakes became nearly critical, the pilot would suddenly find the need to shout a seemingly random oath at anyone who stood in the way of the uncontrollable device, which led onlookers to consider that this brave soul may have been experiencing a symptom of the condition that shares the car's distinctive name. Yep, it's a grand ride for sufferers of Supremitis.
:scared:
J

rich.

#1937 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#1939 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Wow! Thanks mate, Three superb - and ridiculously expensive in one case but you decide which that may be - commercial classics there.

What about the guide price on that Bedford TJ though? I could understand it if the truck were anywhere close to a concours machine but with so many modifications, pretty though it may be, it won't get near the prizes.
Also on the TJ, what donor vehicle does that pickup bed come from? I'm thinking that it's not of the period and that I recognise its shape, but cannot think where it's from or why it looks so familiar.

That'll bug me all night now. :x ;)
J

Flatlander

#1940 Post by Flatlander » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:04 am

JPB wrote:That Volvo is amazing...
...Still, how hard can it be to get a gearbox for that?...
Gearboxes in those things are to a certain degree, unique. Although they are based on the standard Volvo M40 box, they are strengthened, and have therefore som unique parts.

As a piece of totally useless information, the diffs are copies of the american Dana unit, built in the good ol' UK by Salisbury.