iveco

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: iveco

#201 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:14 pm

GHT wrote:Well said Terry, we can't say it, but the reg on one traveller was P1 KEY.
isnt that your car ght?

GHT

#202 Post by GHT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Far too common, why Porsche even have an oil burner these days in the rebadged VW Touareg, namely the Porsche Cayenne.

rich.

#203 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:08 pm

whats wrong with diesel? even a german chap invented them so they should have one in a porsche..

GHT

#204 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:22 pm

rich. wrote:whats wrong with diesel?
Western democracies encouraged diesel even though they were perfectly aware of the health hazards posed by diesel particulate exhaust. Those risks are far better documented than even the most "settled" climate science, and they are very real. Yet the Eurocrats chose diesel in order to be seen to be doing something about global warming, and the manufacturers had to abide by their choice.

The result? Paris has had to ban cars for hours or even days at a time because of smog. According to The Guardian, "diesel-related health problems cost The NHS more than 10 times as much as comparable problems caused by petrol fumes. Last year the UN's World Health Organisation declared that diesel exhaust caused cancer and was comparable in its effects to secondary cigarette smoking."

And that was when people thought that these diesels were meeting pollution standards! Now, of course, we know that many of them were not, and that even the diesel cars that weren't designed to cheat the tests are not performing in the real world the way they do in the test labs. In other words, diesel-powered automobiles are killing people, and in not inconsiderable numbers. The jury is in and the evidence is clear.

TerryG

#205 Post by TerryG » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:19 pm

You could always run your diesel on chip oil. I'll stick to my 50mpg 200,000 mile diesel daily until something expensive goes wrong as i bet that it is still better for the environment than buying and running a new prius with the amount of crud put out creating and disposing of the batteries.
Burning any fossil fuel is bad for the planet.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#206 Post by GHT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 am

Make that two, my wife's 15 year old MK4 Golf TDI has 150K on the clock, constantly returns a consumption in excess of 50mpg and is as good today both mechanically and bodywork as it was new. The only thing that's 'wrong' with it is, she's bored with it. But the chances are, it will be good for a few more years yet. It's worth asking the question though, as I have no knowledge of these things, why do commercial diesels have a clever gizmo fitted that adds Adblue which neutralises most of the harmful particulants of diesel, whilst smaller vehicles, like cars, do not?

JPB

#207 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:07 am

Some cars use adblue reservoirs, Peugeot/Citroen being one that springs to mind, and Halfords will sell you five litres - which will last for years - at what seems like a very reasonable price but I would imagine that most makers' reason for not bothering is that there's no room for any more bottles in the engine bay of the average new Diesel engined car. The 2007 Jetta TDI that Dad runs has (relatively) old-tech Pumpe Düse fuelling and if the bonnet of that were opened, it would be possible to drop a tennis ball to the floor past the engine, this in spite of its DSG being the wet DSG6 that's even larger than the dry DSG7 fitted to my MK7, 2013 Golf, through whose engine room it wouldn't even have been possible to drop a peanut and only then if it had been peeled. But the Golf's engine, common rail as that's supposedly cleaner and more efficient than the larger capacity PD which provides exactly the same 187 Lb/ft of peak torque, used far more fuel than the older Jetta, which still sees an average 65-70mpg on veg oil day in and day out. The Golf had to use dirty fuel from the forecourts and its best ever fuel consumption figure was mightily disappointing as the photo I took one morning on the way in to work shows. Its average was around 55 over the two years and 64,000ish miles that it lasted and that was only achieved by driving like a nun and letting the car do the braking. Jetta's cruise control doesn't slow it down, it's never driven anywhere less than flat out and even on a particularly cold run up the A1 & A697 home from Bradford after loading my (now forum member Mach1 Rob's, the axle, not the car) Dolomite rear axle in its boot and driving back up the road - all single carriageway with occasional overtaking possible and slowing down through the various villages along the way - the thing managed 67mpg, measured brim to brim as the car's dashboard always tells us that it's doing 57mpg, even when it's doing far better.
VAG could have fitted AdBlue to that as there was a space roughly large enough under the scuttle but they didn't. No idea how so but the fact that I put the Toyota into daily use to replace the far newer car should speak for itself. OK, so on the same long trips with cruise set on and sticking within limits it manages at best mid 40s mpg since its engine is working throughout unless I switch off manually at long lights, etc. But I can drop a rugby ball through the engine bay of that and it would reach the floor were it not for the engine bay's undertray. Better yet, the older Japanese has no display to tell me what it thinks I'm achieving consumption wise so I have to do the sums every time when most colleagues still run modern things that can upload directly to the computer that works out the IR expenses for their cars. Oh, and there's an Alfa Diesel, in the car park by the mother ship, which runs AdBlue, but it dates back to around 2007 as well, so maybe it's also an age thing?

:(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#208 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:47 am

my clio does a minimum of 65 mpg on short trips & 80 on a longer run my galaxy does about 50/55 & my transit about 25/30 but will do less when overloaded.... i used to run petrol trucks & cars.. i couldnt do it now.. if you want to ban diesel on health grounds what about everything else thats bad for you? smoking alcohol airplanes food really old cars etc? :scared:

JPB

#209 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:35 am

Smoking is already illegal in work premises and - on the Scots side of the border - when in a moving vehicle, drinking is illegal if you have far too much and then murder someone and as for food; Pot Noodles and doners really ought to be outlawed, the banning of the latter would rid the streets of smoky old MK2 Transits and Transit-type light commercials too, and sheep would be grateful as they'd get to live out their days with a full set of legs.
As for aircraft, they should all be taken apart and their components made into new homes for the people who currently stay in damp, cardboard shelters in parks around the cities of the untied states. Faster, better boats would then take the place of the flying things and the cost of travel could be reduced by using the batteries of dead Prius as a fuel source. Remember how everyone said that these then unknown Lithium based potential storage devices would fail spectacularly at around their then projected eight years of usable capacity? Prius, even though they're slow, inefficient and mainly owned by self righteous prats who work in the humanities block at my work, are lasting well after all but the early cars are now rusting away, leaving behind several tons of batteries that aren't interchangeable between the respective generations of the damned things.
I may have had a little drop of fine foaming ale last night as - looking at my Yahoo.jp homepage this morning - it would appear that I'm bidding for a 2001 Prius saloon with a mere 34,000KM from new, a pair of taxi mirrors on the wing tips and some genuine JDM antimacassars on the seats. The description says that its (original) battery pack still has 84% of its capacity, so that'll last a while.
Please let me be outbid..
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: