iveco

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: iveco

#161 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:04 pm

rich. wrote:i was the proud owner of an mr2, but wifey sold it when daughter no3 came along.. i love my lil lottie but i still miss my car :(
if you look on the site somewhere there is a thread on how you can change the alternator.. i regard myself as an expert now :lol:
I don't get how you ever had such difficulty with the alternator on Mister Two, after all, my own Toyota has nigh enough the same block, the same alternator and it's probably a two minute job to swap the thing if it ever breaks.
Sorry, I keep on forgetting that the Mr2 has the engine in the wrong place.. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#162 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 am

mine also had the aircon & the nut to release the adjuster was well hidden, even an experts advice was just cut the belt off :shock:

GHT

#163 Post by GHT » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 pm

rich. wrote:the nut to release the adjuster was well hidden.
Following a brief search, the nut was located, alive and well, sitting behind the steering wheel.

rich.

#164 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm

GHT wrote:
rich. wrote:the nut to release the adjuster was well hidden.
Following a brief search, the nut was located, alive and well, sitting behind the steering wheel.
:lol: :lol: :thumbs:

rich.

#165 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:23 pm

hello chaps,
as it is getting close to the mot for my beloved transit & as i still haven't managed to get it registered here it doesn't look like i will get a pass certificate.. thinking of changing it for either a iveco daily nissan cabstar or a mitsubishi canter.. anyone have any experience of them? i want/need a double cab tipper... taking the kids to school & playgroup in my present truck is asking for trouble...not to mention the fact i should have got it registered within 6 months, & i have owned it for 3 years now.. :oops:

GHT

#166 Post by GHT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Being serious for a moment, and taking the joke hat off, both those vehicles are really small trucks rather than vans. The Nissan has one of the tightest turning circles for such a vehicle but the cab is very sparse. If you go for one don't forget that the basic model came without ABS & EBD the latter stood for Electronic Braking Distribution. ABS & EBD are not toys they are life savers.
The Canter, as far as I can remember, is the only 4x4 of that type of truck, so it will virtually go anywhere, if that's what you need. It's cab is much more car like, but I can't remember the gizmos on offer.
One potential fault worth checking or having checked is the gear stick. My drivers would often drive along with a hand on the knob of the gear stick. This causes wear to any retaining washers or fittings, in extreme cases, like on The Isle of Wight, on a Saturday morning, the gear stick can actually come out into the driver's hand. What a nightmare that day was. I've not run either of those two vehicles, but I have had a seven and a half ton Mitsubishi, it gave excellent service, without problems, I ran it with two drivers, day and night. Kept it for five years and it sold quickly.
My guess is you will be price driven, so get the best deal that you can with whatever you choose. Let me know what you buy so that I can rubbish it.

rich.

#167 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm

i quite like the transit, but my old iveco had an lsd & was very good in sticky situations, but like you said its all down to price as i am tight & would rather spend the money on sports cars..

TerryG

#168 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:01 pm

it's not a tipper and about £200 more than most builders would spend but this looks pretty cheap:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-V-FORD-T ... 1736273605
or I think this is what you actually asked for:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit- ... 1561802596
If you have 6 months to register one, just buy two and every 6 months take a holiday in England ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#169 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:53 pm

those are very nice.. but its still the problem of getting it registered, although i have considered your idea terry i just want a truck so i can go to work & drop the kids off for school & playgroup. it seems the french try & discourage small enterprise..
a small technical question for you now do all iveco tippers have an lsd?

TerryG

#170 Post by TerryG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:28 pm

If you get one without an LSD, just weld the diff up to make a drift truck if that's what you are worrying about ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.