Mornington Crescent, anyone?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Xantia-nut

Mornington Crescent, anyone?

#1 Post by Xantia-nut » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

I'll kick off with:

Baker Street
If in doubt, give it a clout!

If that don't work, fetch a bigger 'ammer!

1993 Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX

JPB

Re: Mornington Crescent, anyone?

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:22 pm

:?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MidgetSaab

#3 Post by MidgetSaab » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Green Park (I take it we're playing forsythe's standard rules)

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

It would be polite to explain what you're blethering on about. :roll:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MidgetSaab

#5 Post by MidgetSaab » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm

See below, taken from Wikipedia with thanks.

"Mornington Crescent is an improvisational game, featured in the BBC Radio 4 comedy panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which satirises complicated panel games[1].

The game consists of each panellist in turn announcing a landmark or street, most often a tube station on the London Underground system. The apparent[1] aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent", a station on the Northern Line. Interspersed with the turns is humorous discussion amongst the panellists and host regarding the rules and legality of each move, as well as the strategy the panellists are using. Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game,[2] and both the naming of stations and the specification of "rules" are based on stream-of-consciousness association and improvisation.[3] Thus the game is intentionally incomprehensible."

However there is also a school of thought that it did have some rules and was invented in the early 1950's based upon an A-Z and flicking between page numbers with the objective of reaching Mornington Crescent before anyone else did.

It's all very silly really just like the whole radio programme.

EricTheRed

#6 Post by EricTheRed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Hendon Central

EricTheRed

#7 Post by EricTheRed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:41 pm

MidgetSaab wrote: The game consists of each panellist in turn announcing a landmark or street, most often a tube station on the London Underground system. The apparent[1] aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent", a station on the Northern Line. Interspersed with the turns is humorous discussion amongst the panellists and host regarding the rules and legality of each move, as well as the strategy the panellists are using. Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game,[2] and both the naming of stations and the specification of "rules" are based on stream-of-consciousness association and improvisation.[3] Thus the game is intentionally incomprehensible.".
Another Wikipedia article written by someone who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about!

Anyway as I said - Hendon Central

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

i still have no idea how it works & i listen to the show...

MidgetSaab

#9 Post by MidgetSaab » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

the trouble is I'm not sure what's bluff, double bluff and plain cobblers. If it makes me laugh it doesn't really matter

MidgetSaab

#10 Post by MidgetSaab » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:53 pm

thinking about it my comment above works for both Mornington Crescent and Wikipedia