Mornington Crescent, anyone?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: Mornington Crescent, anyone?

#11 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

:roll: Yeah, the difference being that wikipedia exists.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#12 Post by TerryG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 pm

JPB wrote::roll: Yeah, the difference being that wikipedia exists.
Are you sure? it could all be a dream! ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

MidgetSaab

#13 Post by MidgetSaab » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Mornington crescent exists, it's on the Northern line. :D

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

i thought it was just radio 4 madness..

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Yes, the station of that name exists alright but the game is the world's biggest p*ss-take, designed primarily to give the pseuds and wannabees of this world something to intellectualise about while the rest of the world laughs at them. Note that's "at" and not "with" because the joke's on those who lap up all of this bollocks.
Wiki isn't worth wasting your time on as it only perpetuates the myth, possibly because those who've contributed are all a part of the scam, if that's the right word since any scam worth its prawn cocktail would provide some form of gain for its creator(s).

Rich, we "normal" people can see when, as in that fairy tale & well-known children's round song; the Emperor is actually naked and we feel no need to pretend that we see him fully clothed or indeed to use the myth as a means by which to attempt to make ourselves appear smarter than we are but only to other easily led, somewhat dense folk. :lol: ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#16 Post by mr rusty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 pm

It's real all right, more real than a lot of what's on wikipedia! There's even a blue plaque there now for Willie Rushton. http://openplaques.org/plaques/1898 I often wonder though why they chose Mornington Crescent for the game, and I firmly believe that any attempt to explain it will ultimately fail......nobody understands it :lol:

The humour isn't in the game, it's obviously total tosh. But it's in the way it's played,it's very English, the small nuances between the players, it's one of those things you either get or you don't.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Martin Evans

#17 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 am

Before reading this, whilst I had heard of Mornington Crescent, I assumed it was just another soap opera.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 am

Martin Evans wrote:Before reading this, whilst I had heard of Mornington Crescent, I assumed it was just another soap opera.
That's closer to the mark than any previous explanation. ;)
J

MidgetSaab

#19 Post by MidgetSaab » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Mornington Crescent !

Can we play a different game now?

JPB

#20 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Botticelli? (Watchers of the Young Ones will know how, others may be forgiven but only if they're younger than about 30). :lol:

Here goes: I am "F". Your guesses please.
J