scart leads

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

scart leads

#1 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 am

our telly is only 5 years old & the scart connections in the back are loose, has anyone any ideas apart from a new tv? ive changed the leads etc but im coming to the end of my tether :evil:

Aar0sc

Re: scart leads

#2 Post by Aar0sc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:07 am

As in the actual plug in the back of the tv?
If it's still there but loose I'd plug in the scart lead and them have a clip/cable-tie/gaffer tape holding the cable's weight.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

M Paul Lloyd

#3 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:57 pm

I have noticed that they seem to be manufactured to a rather 'open' tolerance and end up either a bid of a floppy fit or tighter than a rounded sump plug.

If it aint broke don't fix it. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm

i think its the connection on the back of the tv..

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I had a neighbour's much-loved (she has a name for the thing FFS! :roll: )11 year old Toshiba 28" pro-logic set, all 50Kg of it, brought around to my house last December with loose connections on one of its scarts, it had to be the one that's RGB compatible too, and my suggestion to the owner that she should change it and switch the input device to CVBS didn't go down too well. :oops:

Longer story marginally less long: Wretched edge-mounted joints at the back of the socket were causing that to flap about so I remade every bloody one (and didn't my poor fingers know it) with braid then used some epoxy to glue the socket to the bared edge of the board where the socket's connections used to be. Works well now, no picture noise as is usually the case with a failing scart socket and my neighbour won't have to p*ss £300 up the wall on an LCD set to "replace" her beloved.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:19 am

how do you fancy a holiday, bring your own soldering iron...

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 am

Rich, honestly, it's a piece of cake to do, fiddly and tiring on the fingertips but no harder than, say, changing seven UK mains plugs in quick succession! :D

Having a TV repairer out to do this for you should cost no more than an Hour's labour if you don't fancy giving it a go.
I'd come to France with my soldering irons, sure they'd enjoy the break. *visits Eurostar site to check train times....* :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: