Makes you think

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

Makes you think

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Taken from Rods and Sods forum......

What is a billion?

I find this quite staggering and it really brings into perspective the actual figure of one billion.

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

a. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

b. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

c. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

d. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

e. A billion Pounds ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

Stamp Duty, Tobacco Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Income Tax, Council Tax, Unemployment Tax, Fishing License Tax Petrol/Diesel Tax, Inheritance Tax (tax on top of tax) Alcohol Tax, V.A.T., Marriage License Tax, Property Tax Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales, Tax Workers Compensation Tax.

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt.

We had the largest middle class in the world and Mum stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

JPB

Re: Makes you think

#2 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm

What happened is we evolved and threw off the chains......
:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

BXBXBXBX

Re: Makes you think

#3 Post by BXBXBXBX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Hello , well chuck in a couple of wars at the beginning of the last century which left us bankrupt financially and wiped out a substantial number of the young men, the collapse of 1929/30 and WW2 and then a number of skirmishes here and there plus the war that I think is, ( a personal opinion only.) not winnable. Afghanistan, a lot of people, dare I say it bigger and most probably better equipped etc. have failed. Too many experts getting it wrong and common sense via Elf and Safety being chucked out.
I think I had better shut up and go and work on the car before I get carried away. Men with the funny white coat approaching.
Cheers all.
Geoff.