Sick of Junk mail/ telesales!! read for revenge tips

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
CompoSimmonite

Re: Sick of Junk mail/ telesales!! read for revenge tips

#11 Post by CompoSimmonite » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:22 am

I don't like telesales calls but try to remain polite. The ones that use automated dialing and when you answer the phone there is nobody there irritate me though.

Paul H

SirTainleyBarking

#12 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 am

Two that really yank my chain
We're not selling anything, this is a survey......... Surveys are permitted to cold call under TPS. A lot of dodgy telesales use this to skirt the law. Makes the life of people like Mori quite difficult. I don't mind true surveys but the fakes get the run around with a vengance

You have been mis-sold insurance, claim now. They just get abuse, especially the ones who were politely told not to ring again, but give the comeback "Well if you don't want to save money you are stupid" That one got both barrels and a complaint to OFCOM
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

tractorman

#13 Post by tractorman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 am

Ah, the mis-sold insurance one. I haven't had one for a couple of weeks (I was waiting for ISP to phone, so picked up that time). Try telling them that the loan was over six years ago doesn't work (the time limit for claims - or so one told me!). I don't mention my current loan now -even when I told them I actually asked for the insurance, they try to get me to claim it was mis-sold!

They use the line that they aren't selling anything, just advising you of their services. I use the line that they are trying to sell their services!

One firm tried a different tack - "what about your mortgage sir". Great stuff - I don't own property, I live with my dear old mother - she has owned the house for nearly 30 years and bought it for "cash"!

One reason I got a lot of calls was because I did do a phone survey about three years ago - the woman sounded plausable. One of the firms that kept ringing told me that they got my number from that firm - and they promptly removed my name from the list without me asking them to do so!

bnicho

#14 Post by bnicho » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am

We have a "Do Not Call" register here, which sounds similar to this TPS thing.

Despite this, we never answer the house phone, unless we are expecting a call. We will just listen to see who it is and then pick up if we want to talk to them.

Before the "Do Not Call" register existed, we had a message on the machine saying something like, "Leave your name and number, unless you are a telemarketer." That seemed to irritate them and a few times telemarketers left messages saying "F**k you, this is how I earn my living" etc.

Since we registered on "Do NOt Call" I can only recall one telemarketer getting through because I happened to pick up the phone. It was an Australian company trying to sell me a house and land package. I got all the details, told them I was on the Do NOt Call and I was reporting them to the Ombudsman. Then I did exactly that. :)
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder