Time for a PC rebuild!

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

Time for a PC rebuild!

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 am

Well it looks quite clear that the power supply unit for my PC
has fried the CPU, and as it is an old case mother board etc.
It is time to rebuild the pc, and a tower case for a minum of
5 hard drives, 2 dvd players (one for UK one for USA)

The old motherboard was an Asus K8U-x and I found the drivers
cd and the date printed on it was 2005!!! With an AMD cpu

I have decided on a new case
http://www.ebuyer.com/289021-bitfenix-m ... 00-kkx1-rp

It is ordered and I will have time to get it ready for the new
mother board, cpu, memory etc.

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P = £35
http://www.ebuyer.com/267509-gigabyte-g ... -m68mt-s2p

CPU = AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz Socket AM3 = £63
http://www.ebuyer.com/249981-amd-athlon ... 455wfgmbox

Memory = Kingston 4GB DDR3 1066MHz = £17
http://www.ebuyer.com/229102-kingston-4 ... 066d3n7-4g

Power Supply Unit = Already have as a new one was bought
to try and get the old PC working.

Is there anything I have forgotten, or let me know what you
think. (I am not a gamer so I watch old films and tv shows)
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

tractorman

Re: Time for a PC rebuild!

#2 Post by tractorman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am

I have to confess that I'm not a Gigabyte fan! I have an Asus M4A78LT-M with an Athlon II X4 650 (3GHz) and 4GB RAM on this machine and it feels stable, if not exceptionally fast (I'm using the on-board graphics).

Don't forget that anything over 3GB RAM needs Windows 7 (64Bit) - and this, I think, is possibly why the machine seems slow. The other machines, with lesser processors and 2GB RAM feel faster as they are 32bit with XP.

I can't find the bill for the m/b, but the processor was £72,88 from eBuyer about six months ago. There's a story about that and a bad eBay seller...
The RAM was £32 from PC World (it must have been a cheap offer!)

The things I hate with a new PC are that it is a lot of hassle reloading everything and, after a month it doesn't feel fast anymore!

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm

RAM is cheap at Crucial just now, I just bought 2x2GB for the laptop which runs Ubuntu 11.10. Cost of the 2 sticks was £19 delivered, so actually cheaper than buying one 2GB stick and adding that to the existing 2GB. This desktop has 8GB, again sourced from Crucial, total cost a year ago was £37 delivered but RAM is now lower again in price, hence the laptop deal and others like it.
Why use different DVD drives for different regions? :? Fluendo DVD player software allows playback of discs for any region, which would liberate one bay for a DVD9-compatible writer, far better than having to use DVD9-5 and compressing films to fit them onto DVD5 discs which are limited to 4.7GB apiece.
On this desktop, I'm using an Asus mobo, having had problems in the past with the less durable caps found on current Gigabyte boards; I built one machine for a friend who'd already bought the mobo and found that several of those (no name) caps were oozing after only three months of use. Asus boards have a mixture of Toshiba and Matsushita caps which are over rated on peak current and VW, so less likely to weep. Being physically larger also means that, when they do start leaking, changing them is less likely to cause problems with heat soak from the soldering iron since each one is mounted through the board, rather than to its surface.
In a ready built PC, obviously such things are covered by warranty but when building with components from a variety of sources, it's much harder to persuade the manufacturer of any individual part to accept liability in cases of claims being made, hence the importance of going for the more durable mobo initially. ;)
tractorman wrote:.....The things I hate with a new PC are that it is a lot of hassle reloading everything and, after a month it doesn't feel fast anymore!
And that right there is one of the main reasons for my having ditched the 'doze for good some years ago. No fragmentation to worry about, no way for malicious code to execute itself when your back is turned and software for anything that 'doze can do is free or very cheap from the many repositories available to the Debian user community. In the extremely unlikely event of there not being a direct equivalent for Ubuntu, the latest release of WINE will run any Windows software from any version, 98se through 7. Just the job for those who want to use, for example, IE. Not that you'd recognise it when running in Ubuntu though, 'cos it works properly! :o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alfaSleep

#4 Post by alfaSleep » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm

tractorman wrote: The things I hate with a new PC are that it is a lot of hassle reloading everything and, after a month it doesn't feel fast anymore!
I bought a Tower only from PCorBit, ACER AMD64, preloaded with XP [Aeons ago..lol] and got them to stick extra Memory in [to make 1Gb].

I run my machine with 2 HDD... no big surprise, surely... 1st: PC CoreApps/ 2nd: All Data.

I connected over my old/previous 1st HDD (Apps) and simply moved the stuff I reckoned I'd need (lots of FREE Net downloaded Apps) onto the new HDD.... didn't seem to onerous :idea:
My 'old' 2nd HDD (Data) was installed/plugged into the new machine - took 5 minutes ;) .

Just stuck another Gig in, my Memory Freeing/Monitor S/w now never shows any 70/90% capacity Usage, like it did before.

Recently bought a WD 'Passport' HDD - plug&play USB. Backed up all my Data/and have constant backup running... should be safe :shock:

PC seems a bit quicker :P

alfaSleep
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)

Mitsuru

#5 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Well the case arrived, right in the middle of a cuppa tea!

I took the side panel off to see what cables etc it has,
only to find something it didn't show or mention in the
description!
There are fans grills in the floor of the case!!!!!!

Unfortunately Danny wanted to be in and to be fussed over.
Big, soft and blunders about, I'm on about the dog not me!

The old PC case was stripped and compacted a little so as
to take up less space in the bin. the panels will be recycled.
I have no crank pulley cover as dad has thrown the old one
out by mistake, these panels are going to make a new one.

Hard drives (original ones) are in, so is the power supply unit.

I will have to check the old bank balance before I purchase the
next item, which will be the motherboard.

Mitsuru

#6 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:34 am

I just found this on the BBC News site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16870464
Fibre optic connections with speeds of up to 300 Megabits per
second will be available on demand in 2013, BT(British Telecom)
says.

That is three times the maximum 100 Mbps speed the company
currently offers using the technology and it described the
development as a "game changer".

According to Ofcom the current UK broadband average is 7.6 Mbps.
Yeah right and I can barely get 2 Mbps, so I'll only believe it
when I see it!

tractorman

#7 Post by tractorman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 am

I think if you read further, it says that the target for this is small to medium businesses, so I suspect the domestic market will still make do with 100Mbps!

I'm worse off than you - 1879K download speed, the DSL speed is 3.3M. However, we have "problems due to a local ULF radio station" according to BT; so the next door neighbour (who had BT Business internet originally paid for by BP) has a large (as in f'ing big) filter so he can get 3.6M DSL speed. It took a year's complaining, MP and BT senior management involvement to get us to the current speed from about 1200K. The main fault was a 200m cable from the CAB (green box) and along to a manhole at the bottom of our road. We had told them that a paper-insulated cable was causing problems. They disagreed and wouldn't change it because our phones were working clearly (sometimes)!

Aslo, forget the "High speed Rural Broadband" that the government are pushing - if you can get 2M download speed, you won't be included!!

suffolkpete

#8 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 am

These really high speeds are only achievable where it is economic to run optical fibre to the premises, usually only in a dense urban environment. In more sparsely populated areas, fibre can be run to the cabinet, but the same speeds won't be attainable. I suspect that we rural dwellers will have to lump it. That said, I live three miles from the exchange, near the limit of its coverage, and get a solid 4.7Mbps. If you have a lot of phone extension wiring in your house, it can degrade the performance significantly. If your BT line has a termination box with the two-part front plate, you can remove it to reveal a test socket behind. Plug your broadband router directly into this. If the sync speed is significantly higher, then you have a problem with the internal wiring. Buy an ADSL faceplate, you can get them from Maplin or online, connect the extension wiring to the filtered output, and fit it in place of the original faceplate. You will have to run the router from the master socket, but you will be able to remove the microfilters on your extension phones. While my broadband speed is not brilliant, it is fine for web browsing, email and streaming standard definition TV.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6